Has anyone here done the Bullock Smithy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 02 Aug 2019

As the title suggests, has anyone done it?  If so then how was it?  I have signed up to it this year (7/8 Sept).  Any hints, tips, or experiences are most welcome!

trish1968 02 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Hi I attempted it quite a few years ago I got to the 42 mile check point.

I only reccied the first half which was a mistake. It helped a lot with the first bit. If you can reccie all the sections then hopefully navigation will be a lot easier on the day especially in the dark.

Good luck

Post edited at 13:50
 El_Dave_H 02 Aug 2019
In reply to trish1968:

Did it a few years ago. My nav was awful but got lucky and ran with some people who knew the course, recce would probably be a good idea.

Are you running or walking? If the former, be aware that there are almost too many checkpoints, and you can lose hours eating cake if you're not careful. Try and in and out in a few minutes or less (master chewing on the go). The last stretch is the least interesting, from what I remember, so be prepared for a bit of a slog at the end to get it finished. 

It's a really good event anyway, have fun.

DancingOnRock 02 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Good luck. It’s been on my list of events to do for a few years now. I would also like to reccy it first. 

I am now busy that weekend again this year. 

The New NickB 02 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

If you sign up for the Marathon Talk podcast and search for some of the old episodes, Tony Audenshaw (the bloke off Emmerdale) talks about it a lot, I think he has done it about a dozen times.

rlocock 02 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

I did it a few years ago. I walked and got grouped with a couple of walkers who had done it before so navigation was not a problem. My advice would be not to go off too fast or you may be grouped with faster people and might struggle to keep up towards the end.

If you look on youtube there are a few videos.

OP maybe_si 02 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Thanks all, we are planning on fast walking rather than running.  Have done a few c100km events before so am aware of the sort of brutal pain involved!  I know the first half fairly well, it's the second half that will be new to me...  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...