Greystoke Forest access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Peacock 19 Feb 2023

Hi all, wondering if anyone knows the current access situation in Greystoke Forest? My (quite old) OS map shows some permissive paths, but searching online I found a FB post suggesting access is only from 20th April 2020 to 31st October 2020. Heading up that way soon with a toddler in tow, and thought it might be a decent spot for a pram-friendly bimble.

petegunn 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Mike Peacock:

We walk occasionally around the woods near the lodge retreat place off the Johnby road, Thanet Well I think it's called. The woods (what's left of them!) are open with some felling now and again but all well sign posted.

coldfell 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Mike Peacock:

The forest was closed for felling for a few years, but now open, although it was recently closed for deer culling, temporarily. There is a small car park between Johnby and the crossroads, which is hard to spot, with several walks from there. Toadstools abound here in autumn and red squirrels are around. Eycott Hill nature reserve is another place to bimble , close to Greystoke, with amazing views and slightly boggy paths. 

OP Mike Peacock 19 Feb 2023
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I also fancied Eycott Hill - with enough bribes that might be achievable for little legs as a "first hill".

OP Mike Peacock 19 Feb 2023
In reply to coldfell:

Thanks - I think spotted the car park on Google Maps aerial imagery but wasn't sure it was an actual car park.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...