Grey Corries access track from Corriechoille

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 24 Mar 2023

Does anyone know whether it is still possible to drive up the track a bit from Coirechoille and park without risk of getting locked in?

DaveHK 24 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

You can drive to where the 'puggy line' crosses with no risk of getting locked in.

OP Robert Durran 24 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

That's great. Thanks!

DR 04 Apr 2023

Legally only with landowners permission though. No right of motorised access in the Scottish access legislation and it's not as if there is a car park up there to show implied landowner consent. It's a right of way too but that doesn't give a right of access for motors either. 

Aye,

Davie

arose 04 Apr 2023

You can drive up to the dam, or the puggy line or the junction before both.  There is definitely a risk of getting locked in.  Theres forestry work up there just now - the workers dont seem bothered and go up around 730 (though dont accept hitching climbers).  Its as fast on a mountain bike as it is to drive with no associated access issue.

arose 04 Apr 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

no risk?  really?  Multiple climbers cars have been locked in there over the years.

OP Robert Durran 04 Apr 2023
In reply to arose:

Well I drove up there a week ago Sunday, dossed in my car at the parking spot before the forest, had a day on the hills and left again no problem. A few other cars and no notices advising not to use the track.

DaveHK 04 Apr 2023
In reply to arose:

> no risk?  really?  Multiple climbers cars have been locked in there over the years.

I've never heard of that at the puggy line car park on the main track, lots of walkers use it too. At the dam yes, but not there.

NN 2557 7886 for the avoidance of doubt.

Post edited at 16:34
 ScraggyGoat 04 Apr 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

It’s an odd one isn’t it, it’s tolerated but not welcomed (no signs) and for how long?  If dozens of cars regularly parked up (yes I have seen it busy) it would probably get stopped quiet quickly, as the risk of impacting estate or forestry activities would be far higher.  So it only works if it’s not widely used, what is the tipping point?

There are very few other spots in Scotland where you can and it is informally tolerated, to drive on estate tracks. But there is in one case where you can go km’s, but it always feels ‘wrong’, and generally you needed very good local knowledge pre internet, to be aware.

I’ve always been very cautious but I noted on the longest one I know, that at New Year it had been driven to the point of being very icy, so many folks appear happy to risk not only getting stuck/sliding off and having no recovery or insurance, but also to risk the estate toleration should they end up blocking the track.

In reply to ScraggyGoat:

If access were lost, then approaching the Grey Corries would be a lot more problematic because there is pretty much nothing along the road to Corriechoille. Last time I went I got cold feet about the track, looked for an alternative, gave up and went to the Mamores instead! Hence this thread.

Fiona Reid 04 Apr 2023

They can be done from Glen Nevis.... it's a long and rather boggy slog out to Stob Ban but definitely possible as a day trip albeit maybe a bit longer than the Corriechoille route. 

In reply to Fiona Reid:

> They can be done from Glen Nevis.... it's a long and rather boggy slog out to Stob Ban but definitely possible as a day trip albeit maybe a bit longer than the Corriechoille route. 

Yes, I first did them that way as a teenager in the rain with a night in the bothy way up Glen Nevis. Two days earlier we had flogged miles up Glen Nevis but couldn't cross a swollen burn. We were keen back then!

arose 04 Apr 2023

Apologies, I was still in winter climbing mode.  I thought you were referring to driving through the gate after the two parking spots to access Stob Coire nan Laoigh (one at the t junction and the other above it on the way up to the wee minister).  

Fat Bumbly2 05 Apr 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

One of the obvious "you can go in for miles" estate tracks has grown a gate in recent years.  You can still go in for miles but not so many.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...