Great Glen Way by bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ogreville 16 Apr 2019

Anyone done the Great Glen Way by bike and completed Fort William to Fort Augustus on day one? Looks like it's about 32miles, mostly on forestry paths. How is it? 

The only exercise I currently do is a 9 mile round trip commute each day, and the odd climbing session. Should I be putting in some training rides over the next few weeks? Any advice much appreciated.

Nibs 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ogreville:

You should be fine, I did it several years ago with a few friends without anf much prep... First leg to Fort Augustus even included a couple of beers in the barge pub at laggan locks. One of the sections of track was quite root-ridden, rest was fine with nice gentle stretches of canal either side. Fairly full day but we weren't pushing it.

Next day was a bit harder though mostly due to the  few shandies had the night before. The full Scottish before the hill climb out the foyers side of loch Ness wasn't performance enhancing (we opted for this rather than the normal route on the west side). The descent down into Inverness as a result was cracking... 

marsbar 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ogreville:

If you are worried about the distance then you could head for Laggan on day 1 instead and stop over there. As mentioned above there is a great floating pub.  I did the first night there a few years ago when we did the trip but on the water so I can't help you with path information sorry.  

Andy 1902 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ogreville:

If intending to stop at Laggan for the floating pub, phone in advance, it's a small business so owners might be away getting supplies during the day.

Roadrunner6 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ogreville:

I ran inverness to fort Augustus. Undulating but broad double track/lochside/forest trails. I think it took me 6-7 hours taking it steady and getting food. I thought the rest was more just down the canal.

Post edited at 18:02
OP ogreville 18 Apr 2019
In reply to ogreville:

Magic, thanks all for tips. Unfortunately we need to push on to fort augustus on day one as there is no accommodation free in laggan that night. I like the sound of the floating pub though!

marsbar 18 Apr 2019
In reply to ogreville:

Oh I assumed you were camping sorry.  I'm sure it will be fine if you commute more than a 1/4 of the distance each day and you'll have time to break if you need to.  Have a great trip.

BTW you may want to take a midge hood and some repellent just in case.  

Post edited at 08:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...