Gr11 how hard is it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bluebus 10 Aug 2018

I’m thinking of walking the entire gr11 trans Pyrenees and wondering if any of you good folks have done it? I have plenty of hill walking experience but little long distance experience. Really I am interested in fitness levels as I will be taking a friend who climbs but hasn’t hiked much. Did you train for it or just build up fitness by doing it? We plan to tackle a few long distance uk routes....

Pedro50 10 Aug 2018
In reply to bluebus:

I have successfully completed several multi-day walks GR20, GR221, John Muir Trail etc. However: 

I did the first 10 stages (as described in the Cicerone guide) three years ago and quit for various reasons (excessive rain, blisters, too much kit, motivation problems). We usually took well over guide book suggested times which shouldn't matter but somehow it does IYSWIM. Some initial fitness makes sense, otherwise the first few days will be (too) painful. I am over 60 and for me carrying as little kit as possible is essential. So some multi day walks with your chosen kit beforehand is a must really (and then fine tune it accordingly) 

It can rain a lot especially nearer the Atlantic and it can get very hot. The first two stages as described by Cicerone are too long unless you are super fit to start with (30 & 31K). Wild camping where necessary gets round this problem. (Are you planning on taking full camping gear?)

It is certainly tougher in my opinion than most UK walks e.g. the Pennine Way, and you need the right mental attitude to think about walking for 40 plus days. 

Having said all that I am seriously thinking of resuming next year, I hate unfinished business.....

p.m me if you want any more info. 

OP bluebus 11 Aug 2018

Thanks for that...yes I thought the cicerone guide made it al, sound a bit too easy. I would be carrying full camping gear but between two of us so not so bad weight wise. I had also thought that a 30k kick off was a bit of a harsh start so yes def wild camping in between. How did you find the path, was it fairly easy to follow. Would you suggest taking a gps?

Pedro50 11 Aug 2018
In reply to bluebus:

I'm still a bit of a GPS novice but it can't do any harm. However the trail is often modified so way points can change. Fairly easy to follow with care

Doug 11 Aug 2018
In reply to bluebus:

I've walked some longish stretches, both in the eastern & central Pyrenees, usually mixed with sections of the HRP and carrying camping gear but having occasional nights in huts. In many ways its intermediate between the HRP & the GR10. The later can be done without camping gear, frequently goes through villages, is usually a good easy to follow path but climbs & descends a lot (typically around 1000m) every day while the HRP needs camping, but as it stays high for long sections has less up & down down but often on poor paths with little waymarking. The GR11 would involve some very long days without camping but the sections I walked had reasonable paths although the waymarking was often a bit poor  (eg going one side of a lake while the map suggested the opposite). Can't comment on the Cicerone guide as I just used a series of 1:50 000 & 1: 25 000 maps plus the French guide to the HRP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...