Glencoe 2 day walking route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 25 Jul 2018

Im heading up to Glencoe for a couple of days walking.

Looking at my map I see to much potential and can't decide on a route. 

Wondering what people would suggest for a 2 day 1 night walking route (wild camp).  Needs to start and end in the same place (car). Any parts you recommend?

PPP 25 Jul 2018
Removed User 25 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

Go light and start at the Clachaig. Day 1, Aonach Eagach, cross the road and camp in the Hidden Valley. Day 2: Over Bidean and Stop Coire nam Beith, down to Clachaig. Or do it the other way round, which means your pack will be lighter for the AE.

If that's too short, follow the Aonach Eagach to the Devil's Staircase (and underrated walk) and camp high. Day 2: Buachailles & Bidean, though this is a big day evenly the shortest route.

Otherwise a round of some Mamores and the Grey Corries from the Glen Nevis road end is hard to beat. You could stay in Meanach bothy which would save the weight of a tent.

Post edited at 20:26
Removed User 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Dreadful spelling errors above, too late to edit.

an underrated walk, not and.

even by the shortest route, not evenly.

OP Alan M 25 Jul 2018
OP Alan M 25 Jul 2018

Anoch Eagach is definitely on my list just not sure my mate will be happy on it.  He doesn't enjoy exposure, steep ground etc.  I will run the idea past him as I would jump at the chance to do that round.

Again I need another map for the Mamores and Grey Corries lol.

To dash4it I go.  News maps to purchase

OP Alan M 25 Jul 2018

Dont worry about spelling mistakes.  It reads perfectly, to be honest I don't even check my spelling on most forums these days.  99% of my posts are on a 4 inch phone screen it is a faff when my finger covers about 3 letters  As long as it can be understood that is all that matters.

OP Alan M 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Alan M:

What scale map do people recommend for the Glencoe area?

In the Lakes and Wales I prefer 1:40k  or 1:25K never been a fan of the 1:50K OS maps.  However, looking at the terrain it appears 1:50k might be more useful than the 2 I mention above?

PPP 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Harvey's Ben Nevis and Glen Coe 1:40k map covers pretty much it all: 

https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Ben-Nevis-YHBMBN.html

Saying that, Bridge of Orchy/Achaladair hills (which aren't covered in the aforementioned map) can be fun as well. Depending on the fitness, there's few options and a bit less of up-and-down compared to the Glen Coe hills. The walk-in can be a bit longer, just like Mamores. 

I wouldn't dismiss Stob Ghabhar either, there seem to be few paths around as well for getting back. 

Hitching a ride in Glen Coe has rarely been an issue. I even caught rides at night in winter with an ice axe strapped to the rucksack. I recently gave a ride to a fellow climber heading off Aonach Eagach as well. I must have hitched there over a dozen times before I got a car and the only time I couldn't get one was during an awful winter night in heavy traffic. Poor visibility, complete darkness and constant rain made it clear that walking back would be safer than standing on the road. Walked from Achaladair farm to Bridge of Orchy after a long day on the hills and I still think I didn't try hard enough to catch a ride. 

There's too many options in Glen Coe and I don't think I have ever been on a hill (done all Glen Coe ones) that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. It's a lovely place. 

Dave the Rave 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Did this once. Walk from Kinlichleven upto Coire an Lochan and pitch up. Lovely spot. Go up Sgurr Eilde Mor, have a nip of malt then descend to camp. Next day go up Binnein Beag, then Binnein Mor, over Na Gruagachan then descend after back to Kinlichleven. Off to Clachaig, ten pints then borrow a pumpkin from the set of Harry Potter. Class day. Oh .And fall in the ditch by the Red Squirrel.

OP Alan M 25 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

Thanks, I have just ordered the 1:40K map.  

Will start comparing all of the options put forward and see what my mate thinks.  Can't believe I have been through Glencoe so many times but never stopped to walk the hills.

PPP 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

IMHO setting up a bit early (not a problem in summer, really) and getting to Coire an Lochan, leaving stuff there and getting both Sgurr Eilde Mor and Binnein Beag done without rucksacks is certainly an option. The next day is a bit easier, given there's not much climbing to be done with the weights on. That's what I have done, including some Ardbeg in the tent. My weight saving mind forgot that humans don't sleep over 12 hours and I should have packed a book to keep myself busy over the evening. The pen froze as well, so I couldn't write some notes. Spent an hour going through the photos on the phone as that was the only entertaining thing left after reading all the nutritional information of all the wrappers. I think we both have memories

Camping between Binnein Beag and Binnein Mor might be an option as well, but I couldn't find a running water source in winter months without having to melt snow. 

abr1966 25 Jul 2018

Off to Clachaig, ten pints then borrow a pumpkin from the set of Harry Potter. Class day. Oh .And fall in the ditch by the Red Squirrel.

Sounds very familiar....aged 53, having been going to the Clach since 17, a skin full and bivvy in thee woods is still a regular part of life!

In reply to PPP:

It’s a good little route. Nice to get yer tent up by the Lochan and bimble up the hills without encumbrance. As I remember vaguely from 2004. Sorry I’ve forgotten what I remembered but a good route in good company. Sadly the dog has died since then and the human turned out to be a wenker

In reply to abr1966:

>  Off to Clachaig, ten pints then borrow a pumpkin from the set of Harry Potter. Class day. Oh .And fall in the ditch by the Red Squirrel.

> Sounds very familiar....aged 53, having been going to the Clach since 17, a skin full and bivvy in thee woods is still a regular part of life!

Not been the Clach for a few years now. Must try harder.Is Saturday night music still the scene?

abr1966 25 Jul 2018

Sure is.....draws the locals and the visitors! Various quality....some decent cover bands managing bad acoustics and the regular Scottish acoustic/folk rambling on about redcoats and the english like it was yesterday!!

Joak 26 Jul 2018
In reply to abr1966:

My grandfather was born in 1890 (buried in Balquhidder in 1971).  Yesterday isnae a million years ago. Let the folk ramble/they've got a song tae sing.  

coinneach 26 Jul 2018

>  and the human turned out to be a wenker

Embarrassing that, when you’re sharing a tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...