Glen Shiel logistics question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jim jones 24 Jan 2021

I'm planning a walking trip in Scotland later this year with my daughter (pandemic permitting!). Just trying to find some information about bus services up and down Glen Shiel for the Five Sisters etc. Planning on staying at either the Hostel or camping. I don't really want to take a bike but can see how it could work, guessing the bus looks the best option though? Current timetables online seem to be unsecure websites or out of date. 

veteye 24 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

I set off from near the Cluanie Inn in May one time, at about 1pm, intending to do a couple of Munros on the north side, with a heavy rucksack to train for going to Denali; however I found that the day, and my feelings were better than anticipated, so I carried on and walked to the end of the Five Sisters. Near the end, realising that it was late, and I was booked into a bunkhouse further south, I rang the hotel nearby, and they organised a taxi which met me pretty much where I came down to the road, and took me back to the Cluanie, without any question.

So if you get stuck, you could try a similar ploy with a taxi. I know that this is more expensive than the bus, but it may get you out of trouble.

Kalna_kaza 24 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

If staying at SYHA Ratagan, walk to Shiel Bridge and catch the citylink bus heading towards Fort William - probably worth booking giving the restricted numbers on each service. Get off at the battle of Glen Shiel layby or the Claunie if you want another 3 or 4 Munros, make your way back, no pressure on missing your transport.

I've hitched along Glen Shiel many times, returning the favour when I can. Obviously that isn't an option this year but maybe if your plans don't work out this summer.

OP jim jones 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Thanks very much for the information both, really helpful and hopefully by the time we go things will be much improved.

Hefty Soph 25 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

Hi Jim, there is a lovely bothy you could stay at, Glen Licht House - the Hadden-Woodburn Memorial Hut run by the Edinburgh Uni Mountaineering Club Easiest way to investigate is through their facebook page. People have also taken the train up before so that's something to think about too. All the best, Soph

lpretro1 25 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

I left my car at the end and just thumbed a ride up to the Clunie - local fella said he often picked up folk wanting to do the ridges

Tim Davies 25 Jan 2021
In reply to lpretro1:

Hitched as well. Pick a spot by a layby, not on a fast straight and look half presentable and smile . 

OP jim jones 25 Jan 2021

Thanks for the ideas, never had a lot of success hitching in Scotland but it could be worth a go especially with my daughter! 

Jasonic 25 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

I hitched back but the bothy also looks fun!

oldbloke 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Jasonic:

If MBA bothies are open by then, there's also Camban, which was in a good state when i was last there.

Gawyllie 26 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

One time we done the sisters while staying in the hostel at the kintail lodge hotel. We booked a taxi to take us up to the top of the pass in the morning then just had to walk up the road for 10mins after the descent.

Another time we parked up the top then caught the bus at Ault a'chruinn to take us back up. This was the stagecoach one from Kyle to Fort William. I cant remember how much it was but it was expensive and a taxi could even have worked out cheaper.

Fat Bumbly2 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Gawyllie:

Beware the buses. I had to get back to my car at Morvich from Garve after a trip. Train to Kyle was a bearable fare and even more enjoyable than ever (awesome staff).  Kyle to Kintail, the bus cost £10. (2018)

Groups take care

Post edited at 08:30
 Steve Woollard 26 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

Hitched as well.

I've never had a problem hitching short distances in the Highlands, the locals are sooo friendly to walkers

PPP 27 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

Alternatively, you can find a camping spot or stay in Cluanie Inn, dump all your overnight gear there and drive West, parking somewhere near Achnagart Farm.
Do North ridge, come off the hills just by the Cluanie, have a dinner there, sleep and do the South ridge next day, coming back to the car. Then collect your camping/hotel stuff on the way out. 

That’s what we did - they’re quite long two days, but you benefit from carrying just a day bag (we had 10-12l bags in not-so-perfect August weather) and the overnight stop breaks up the loop quite well. 

Flinticus 27 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

I've hitched and used the bus.

However the bus is infrequent and I've also seen it fly by the bus stop without stopping (on an occassion when i was already on the bus, and there were seat)...the look on the faces of those waiting...

CathS 27 Jan 2021
In reply to jim jones:

I did the 'Brothers Ridge' in Glen Shiel with a friend at Easter a few years ago. We'd resigned ourselves to a long trudge back up the road at the end, but tried hitching and got a lift within 5 minutes - from an Indian family who were doing a Bollywood sightseeing trip of the Highlands! They were very impressed when we pointed out the snowy peaks we'd just conquered.

In reply to jim jones:

Here's a way to avoid the Glen Shiel road. Park at Morvich and walk up the Glen Lichd track past Glen Lichd house. Take the ridge up onto Saileag and then head west along the 5 Sisters. Descend from Sgurr na Moraich back to Morvich. A longish walk but lovely and traffic free.

Dave Hewitt 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> Beware the buses. I had to get back to my car at Morvich from Garve after a trip. Train to Kyle was a bearable fare and even more enjoyable than ever (awesome staff).  Kyle to Kintail, the bus cost £10. (2018)

Although you, like me, should get a bus pass later this year! I'm already making plans...

Joak 27 Jan 2021
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Aye that's the way I went twice when doing the Five Sisters ridge. Along Gleann Lichd then up onto the Bealach an Lapain. The second time when using this approach, half way along the glen I had to walk past (at a very brisk, sweaty palmed pace!) a huge menacing looking black bull with a shiny ring through its nose standing guard over a harem of cows.  When I was around 4 years old I had an unfortunate encounter with an inquisitive cow. Sitting on the throne, in my auntie Bess's wee wooden cludgie next to her caravan in a Lochearnhead field, a cow wandered over, gave it a nudge and let out a large moo.....that traumatic experience has left me with a life long case of coophobia.    

Post edited at 14:41
In reply to Joak:

Hi Joak Like your story.  Coos were around in Glen Lichd last February when I was last up there. Nae bull thank god. Hope you,'re  getting through this Lockdoon. I'm so lucky to be living in Gairloch. Typical it,s the best winter for 10 years. Mind you breaking trail is hard work with so few folk around. .

henwardian 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Hefty Soph:

I'd second Soph's suggestion. If you can book the EUMC bothy, it is pretty well kitted out now (after a big effort to do it up when a storm took the roof off a few years ago) and, depending on what kind of car you have, you can actually drive all the way up to the bothy to avoid lugging heavy packs. A standard 2wd hatch can get up there ok with a bit of care imo but obviously what "my car can get up" varies a lot from person to person!

From there, you can do the 5 sisters and walk back up the glen track, so no need to go near the road at all.

You can also have a nice day out, starting as for the 5 sisters but going E from Bealach an Lapain and doing saileag, Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg and Aonach Meadhoin (the three brothers), you can tack on ciste dubh as well if you feel you are going well and have time. Then back down the glen to the Bothy again.

You also have a shorter day in Beinn Fhada which is also a nice day out starting directly from the bothy.

If it's too windy on the tops or too much clag or whatever, there is a pretty long circuit you can do around Beinn Fhada which has a good path all the way except a few kms in Gleann Gniomhaidh and is very straightfoward to navigate. The route goes down Gleann Lichd, up Glean Choinneachain, across Bealach an Sgairne (high and the most exposed point of the circuit), down Gleann Gniomhaidh then up Fionngleann (past Camban) to get back into Gleann Lichd again. A couple of the river crossings in Glean Choinneachain demand a bit of care and can be interesting if it's been very wet.

Joak 27 Jan 2021
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Aye I'm very envious of youz Heilan boyz right now. I had an active summer in the hills between the two big lockdowns, but winter is by far my favourite season. Missing the great late season conditions in the Spring was hard, missing oot oan the current fantastic spell of cold settled conditions is absolutely muckin furder. Hope you make the most of this winter and manage to make hay when the sun shines. Stay safe buddy.       

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...