Glen Nevis conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Belle74 07 Oct 2020

Has anyone been out from Glen Nevis car park recently, particularly at the foot of Steall falls? I'm planning to do the Ring of Steall with some friends next weekend and I know it can get a wee but flooded around there and wondering if it's worth starting from Kinlochleven. I would prefer to start from Glen Nevis though.

Thanks.

gavmac 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Belle74:

Best way to do it starting from Lower Falls, starting up Sgurr a Mhaim and finishing at Steall. You also have the benefit of mostly downhill back to the car and any wet feet are at the end of the day.

I've not been to Steall this week but I'm sure it will be fine. It's boggy in all but the driest conditions anyway but nothing to put you off. Heading down into Steall at the end of the day is a lovely finish to what is a great day out.

skog 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Belle74:

Barring very heavy rain the day before (not currently forecast), or worse, lots of snow melt (the snow isn't there to melt), I can't see it being a problem.

The only river crossing that doesn't have a bridge is the outflow from Steall Falls, and unless it's genuinely massively in spate, the worst you'll get there is wet feet.

And if you park at the waterslide car park at the end of the road, then walk down the road to Achriabhach and up Sgurr a Mhaim then round that way, any wet feet will happen near the end of your day anyway.

OP Belle74 08 Oct 2020
In reply to gavmac:

Thanks, excellent advice. I've done the Ring a couple of times, once from the foot of the falls and once from Kinlochleven. I've never done it starting from the lower car park so I think I'll definitely do as you advised.

Much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...