Glen Fyne Beinn Bhuidhe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 24 Mar 2022

Can anyone tell how far I can cycle up Glen Fyne and where I should be heading for, to access path up to Beinn Bhuide. Thanks.

Harry Jarvis 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

From memory (and it's been a while), you can cycle all the way up to Inverchorachan (NN229180-ish), about 4.5 miles up the glen. It's then a steep slog straight up the hillside. 

The walkhighlands guide here references a recent hydro track, but that post-dates my ascent and my map:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/beinn-bhuidhe.shtml

The hydro track can be seen on Google Earth. 

alibrightman 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

I agree with Harry Jarvis - cycle to Inverchorachan.

I cycled up the Merk Burn and onto the recent hydro track.  Bad move.  It's too steep, too rough and has too much ascent and descent to be useful. It's also a very ugly way to go up a very nice hill.

Cheers

Al 

In reply to Phil1919:

Cycle to Inverchorachan would be easy as others said, but the disadvantage is that you're going up and back the same way much of the day's distance. Aesthetically I tend to prefer a circuit where feasible. The route here makes use of the new hydro track:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1203

Pros: it's a loop, not linear. A bit meatier, so you get more exercise. You also get to see other bits of the hill (ok not all of them very pretty).

Cons: all on foot. The track is hard underfoot. It's also a good example of the damage that can be wrought by track bulldozing and micro hydro schemes. On second thoughts, you could always cycle

OP Phil1919 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks all. The easiest is best as I've a bit of a return cycle to get their in the first place. I'm expecting a steep climb, and  hopefully a nice munro path to make it easier.

Robert Durran 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

I've done both routes in recent years. The cycle and steep path is certainly more attractive, but if on foot only I think I would come down the other way. 

When I did Bheinn Bhuidhe as my last Munro first time round in 1982 you could drive all the way up the Glen!

OP Phil1919 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Ah, I don't have a car but that must have made it quite a short day for bagging a Munro : )

In reply to Phil1919:

Don't forget to drop in to the brewery pub.

Mike-W-99 24 Mar 2022
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Indeed, was just about to post that. We were up last year and had a very relaxing few hours in the beer garden after the hill.

Fat Bumbly2 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

That’s how I went up last time. A NOtice invited me to leave the bike further down the glen but there is no problem getting up to the cottage 

Descent was over the north top and a pleasant walk down the upper glen 

Post edited at 21:05
 Mark Bull 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> Descent was over the north top and a pleasant walk down the upper glen 

Yes, that's a nice way to make a circuit if you cycle to Inverchorachan. You can visit the 901m top and head back down via the Allt a' Mhuillin, or include Ceann Garbh as well. 

Chris Peo 16 Apr 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

My wife and I did this last year, on probably the hottest day of the year. The hydro track is awful and I would rather retrace my steps than use that. The micro-brewery is worth a visit too.

On a side note, the filming of a new Netflix series called "Half Bad" was going on while we were there, which meant being chaperoned past Inverchorachan to the path, and back out when we came back down. 

Chris

OP Phil1919 17 Apr 2022
In reply to Chris Peo:

I had a good trip up Glen Fyne. Nice to see some deciduous woods being established. Smiled at the sign that said fishing by permit only....except no permits are being issued as....there aren't fish. They then added that they are trying to remedy this. Enjoyed my jaunt to the summit. I thought the steps were good value. Came back the same way which was fine. Nice summit ridge. Great views but loads of land that needs regenerating. 

Thanks for help and advice.

Sean Kelly 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

Very unexpected, but we were very lucky and got a lift back from the gillie who had been up the glen fishing with clients. As we arrived back at my mates car, the gillie recognised one of the local hoods who had been tampering with our car (a Landcruiser Amazon). He was on to the police straight away as the thief slyly sneaked off!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...