Glen Clova access?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 08 Dec 2021

I have seen that there may have been blocked access to Glen Clova due to fallen trees since Storm Arwen.

Has anyone any updated information? Traffic Scotland only has issues in Glasgow today apparently???

rubble 08 Dec 2021
In reply to JohnnyW:

Just seen this ...was up Clova today, as far as Upper Gella Bridge (just past the junction with road to Rottal Lodge), with my Mobile Library. Many trees victim of Storms Arwen and Barra but road is passable with care - a couple of crumbling tarmac edges and a lot of cut trees/branches on the verges. Residents and Estate staff have been very busy with chainsaws to keep access open.  

Not sure of access further up the Glen towards Glen Doll but would imagine it will be fine, again with care as locals are still moving around and getting on with life. 

Also visited Glen Prosen, as far as the Church/Hostel and again passable with care.  

The power of nature, in this case the wind, is incredible.

Welsh Kate 08 Dec 2021
In reply to rubble:

I'm sure there must be downsides, but running a mobile library round there sounds like a fab job!

rubble 08 Dec 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hi Kate ... it absolutely is ... and there are significantly more ups than downs (much like some of the scenery we drive through). My colleague and I drive around Angus on a timetable and thoroughly enjoy meeting our customers on a regular basis.

Shameless plug ... there are two Mobile Vans - "Glen" and "Isla" - and you can learn more about us at: angusalive/libraries/mobile-libraries  

Gav_92 08 Dec 2021
In reply to JohnnyW:

On sunday the road was closed at clova the village, good parking available also public toilet

3 miles each way on the road wasnt so fun 

Dave Hewitt 08 Dec 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I'm sure there must be downsides, but running a mobile library round there sounds like a fab job!

I once applied for a library van job here in Stirling and surrounds. Was really keen and felt I could do it well. Didn't get it (think there were two jobs going); don't think I've ever been so disappointed at not getting a job, and even now, a decade or more on, I look at the van when it comes along and feel rather wistful.

OP JohnnyW 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks all. As twas ever thus, plans have changed, and we are off to Inverey instead, but at least it will give them time to proper tidy up

And well done on the library. Nice to know books are still being read!

Tobes 09 Dec 2021
In reply to rubble:

Hi, do you also visit Tarfside on your rounds? I see a mobile there on a Monday I think it is.

regards! 

rubble 26 Dec 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Hi apologies, didn't see this earlier ... yes we do visit Tarfside but, unfortunately, this is not one of the stops I cover ... my colleague will still be delighted to see you!

Update on Glen Clova access  (Copied from FB post):

"Merry Christmas

from Angusalive and

Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS)

There is significant wind blow across all waymarked trails and mountain access routes. Unfortunately, the car park will be closed to visitors until these areas can be cleared and made safe.

Update: -

A 300metre section of fallen trees (which blocked the Moulzie/Bachnagairn track) has now been cleared and made safe. It is now possible to travel up this track again and to access the climbing on JuanJorge, or the open hill up to Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch and beyond.

This is the ONLY trail that is accessible, so you would have to come back the same way. You won't be able to come back via Loch Esk down Jock's Road, or Corrie Fee, the forest is impassable in these areas.

The Forestry and Land Scotland car park remains CLOSED, you should park at the quarry before Baraedownie and not park in the turning circle by the bridge, this needs to be kept clear for the offloading of heavy machinery.

It is also possible to access the climbing in Winter Corrie, again parking in the quarry and walking from here.

The toilets located at the Ranger base will be open on Christmas day and Boxing Day.

Please maintain social distancing, hand washing and wearing a face mask."

rubble 12 Jan 2022

From AngusAlive Countryside Adventure:

Update on Glen Doll as of 12/01/22:-

Glen Doll car park is now OPEN however there is still a large number of fallen trees across all Waymarked Trails and most mountain access routes making access difficult or impassable.

The following Waymarked Trails remain CLOSED:-

South Esk Trail.

Corrie Fee Trail.

Dounalt Trial.

Whitewater Trail.

Storm Arwen has caused significant windblown damage to the Forestry. At this time we are potentially anticipating the full clearance and any required pathway works to take the remainder of 2022 to complete.

Access to the open hill is possible in some areas:-

It is now possible to walk up the Moulzie track to Bachnagairn to access the climbing on JuanJorge (subject to nesting Raptors) or the open hill up to Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch and beyond. This is the ONLY trail that is accessible so you would have to come back the same way; you will NOT be able to come back via Loch Esk down Jock's Road, or Corrie Fee. The forest is impassable in these areas!

It is also possible to access the climbing in Winter Corrie.

The Kilbo Path is now considered to be an accessible route up to Mayer and Driesh but there is one section of fallen trees in the upper forest in Corrie Kilbo (just after the stepping stones) that should be avoided. Access is possible around the outside of the forest (300 metres) which will bring you back onto the path again. This not only avoids the fallen trees but also the muddy ground in there. We advise all walkers to exercise caution and use your own personal judgement on the physical conditions on the hill and your own abilities to walk cross country and through damaged paths.

Glen Doll Ranger Centre has more information on the status of the mountain access routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...