Glasgow or Edinburgh best for Munro bagging?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

That is some olympic standard geekery. Love it!

Be fun to see the results for Stirling, Dundee, Inverness and Aberdeen too...  

marsbar 24 Feb 2020

I can't put into words how much I love this.  Thanks for sharing.  

Jack Frost 24 Feb 2020

Best thing I’ve read on the internet for a while. 

In Edinburgh's defence the starting point of George Square in both cities has an effect and George Square isn't the centre of Edinburgh.  In Glasgow the M8 isn't far from George Square but George Square in Edinburgh to either the A90/M8 or M9 is going to involve a fair time on congested streets.

If you lived in North West Edinburgh or closer to the bypass in South Edinburgh you'd do much better than starting from George Square.

Ratho has to be a good starting point too.

Fiona Reid 24 Feb 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> If you lived in North West Edinburgh or closer to the bypass in South Edinburgh you'd do much better than starting from George Square.

Indeed but the bridge and parking lot (aka M8 at rush hour) are still a pain. 

That said I've been in Sheveval Bothy before midnight on a Friday night having left south Edinburgh at 4pm so sometimes the traffic plays ball.

yorkshire_lad2 25 Feb 2020

Fantastic read.  Just feeds my love of geekery and walking.

Wish I could get to the talk.

StockportAl 25 Feb 2020

That was a good read, going to the proper length of geekery, an optimum place to be in Scotland would be interesting to know. Obviously that's going to have to be somewhere with at least some sort of relative ease of access to roads on the cardinal points. I'm thinking it's probably somewhere in the western highlands, maybe around Fort William.

marsbar 25 Feb 2020
In reply to StockportAl:

Just by eye and from the dots I'd put it more towards the middle, somewhere around Fort Augustus maybe but that is without taking roads into account.  

Mike-W-99 25 Feb 2020
In reply to StockportAl:

In another forum I frequent Inverness was suggested with Aberdeen being one of the worst.

summo 25 Feb 2020

I don't see how Edinburgh can win unless you live on the absolute western outskirts. Having lived in gorbal/shawlands of Glasgow where you can be heading out north west pretty quickly, then over the bridge after the airport, versus Newhaven(alien rock area) in Edinburgh where it was a slow trudge just to get out of town. 

Best location. Probably Stirling. Close enough to shoot into big city climbing walls, perfect position to head north up A9 or west, already north of the major traffic problems. The time saved getting out of the city means you can do quite a lot of stuff on day trips. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...