Getting from Aonach Mor ski centre to roy bridge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 08 Jun 2021

Planning to do the Grey Corries with the Aonach Mor and Beag tacked on the end with a wild camp along the way. My question is as I only have one car how do  go to Roy Bridge if I leave my car at the ski centre car park is there a bus from ski centre or do I have to get a bus back to Fort William and then get a bus or train from there or is there a better way of doing things. 

Mike-W-99 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Is this any use? http://www.shielbuses.co.uk/route-n41-mon-fri

It seemed ok a few years ago getting to the ski centre.

If you're doing it over 2 days then it's possible to walk back to the start via the tracks in the Leanachan Forest. Not the nicest finish maybe, and it's far, but it saves transport faff. You could park at the ski centre, or extend it by parking at the North Face car park and including The Ben. That way it's called the Lochaber Traverse, which I guess is about 1/3 of a Ramsay Round. As per this old article:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_big_routes_lochaber...

Or maybe you could leave the car in Ft William, and then get the train back from Spean Bridge at the end?

DaveHK 08 Jun 2021

If you have a suitable bike that could work. Stash it carefully in the woods at the end of the walk and drive to the start then ride back to the car when you're finished, it's all good forest tracks. You could even ditch the rucksack and pick it up with the car to make the cycle more pleasant.

Post edited at 21:34
 DaveHK 08 Jun 2021

Also, why Roybridge? There's parking at NN 2553 7886 which is closer to the hills. Or if you do cycle do it the other way round and stash the bike there. Much quieter and very dense forest to hide a bike in.

And yet another option if you don't have a bike would be to park at the grid ref above, do the walk but drop of Aonach Mor to the NE instead of going all the way down to the car park. Pick up the 'Puggy Line' (dismantled tramway on the OS) and walk back along that. Shorter and more interesting than the Leanachan forest tracks.

Post edited at 21:48
In reply to DaveHK:

Usual take my mb so cycling would be a good option. That bus service would work great to. That would give me two options if I finish near the time of a bus or if not cycle. Thanks for all the replys and advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...