G20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank Boase 10 Jan 2020

G20, again.

This time, I'm wondering about a 2 person tent.

Obviously light-weight, some recommendations would be appreciated.

Did anybody rough camp? I'm planning to go in September.

Regards Frank Boase.

Post edited at 02:13
 Solsbury 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase: Hi, we took a square of blue builders tarpaulin and some parachute cord and were there in September. Obviously had mats and reasonable bags- zero rated. It only rained once and it absolutely pissed down, much to the amusement of the better (over) equipped Europeans we remained completely dry and left a very neat dry square. We bivied near huts and snuck in, though I cant remember why.

One of the most amusing things was our new companion who had never been out of South London. I had assumed that he was about 35 but as his very white hair grew through I realised he was in his mid 50's. He did well, though he did not have mush choice i suppose.

Rich

JStearn 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

As with the last thread, I strongly recommend going as light as possible on the GR20. I camped all 6 nights and it's generally possible to find good spots (one night I bivvied on a ledge but had passed better spots.) Look into UL shelters like MLD Duomids, HMG, ZPacks Duplex or just a flat tarp. If you prefer a more traditional style tent, Big Agnes or Tarptent have good reputations with thru-hikers. My trip report has a few campsites in it to give you an idea of what you might find: https://www.spektakl.co.uk/gr20/

Pedro50 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

No offence but this is your second thread. It's the GR20 ffs.

Enty 14 Jan 2020

I'm very interested in this. Anyone got any advice on getting around the island? Logistics of getting to the start and from the finish from any ferry ports look horrendous.

I'd probably be getting a ferry from Toulon to either Ajaccio or Bastia.

Looks like busses are hit and miss and taxis €200+ to get to Calenzana / from Conca.

James you mention 6 days - was this tough? Could you shave a day off? I don't mind a bit of pain.

Cheers,

E

Pedro50 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Enty:

This is based on 2006 experience: Marvellous train journey from Ajaccio to Calvi. Only ran twice a day, we missed the a.m. one so the journey used a whole day. Taxi from Calvi to refugio at Calenzana (euro30 for 3 persons in 2006)

At Conca the refugio ran a shuttle to the coast where we got a bus to Ajaccio, again consuming most of a day. 

JStearn 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Enty:

Logistics are not too bad, there's a train from Bastia to Calvi, you get off a few stops early and can walk or hitch to Calenzana. At Conca, I can't remember if there is a scheduled bus or you can order one, but I think the latter and with a group of hikers it works out cheap enough. That gets you to Porto Vecchio where there are minibuses to Bastia. Not sure about Ajaccio sorry. Think I had 6 1/2 trail days, I just doubled up every stage so it's about 30km a day so nothing crazy. In the north it is harder to do, and it's the only trail I've woken up early on (sometimes 5 or so) as it's pretty hot during the day. Obviously you have to go light to do this, most people (and hikers in Europe in general compared to America) seemed to be way over-equipped. You can save a lot of weight (but not money) by using the huts/renting tents at each hut and eating there but I'm too tight for that. Resupply is the only issue, I got a few things at Vizzavona but there were slim pickings. Hope that helps.

Max factor 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

if you are taking a tent, get one with internal structure e.g. a geodesic one. The campsites are often very rocky (like a pebble beach) so not easy to get tent pegs into. We had and AR tent, which had to be guyed out to give it its 'shape'; more than once we had to guy to large rocks or cairns, and as it was quiet ended up using the refuges.

You really can go light; all you need to cook (gas burners, some pans) are provided by the refuges for both those staying in huts and paying to camp. So with use of refuges (+maybe a very minimalist emergency bivvy set-up), i'd be looking to do it with a sub 30l pack.

lithos 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

you want a free standing tent if you can, we used a tera nova solar comp 2 and it was brilliant  if cosy (and it's been across the HRP)  we camped every night, mostly at huts. we went in first week or so of Sept, there were about 100 people doing it the same day!

we ate in huts sometimes, our packs were 32l or thereabouts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...