Free ML service offered this Summer (depending..)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Osiris 16 Jan 2021

I recently acquired my ML and as I don't see much chance of getting any work, I offer my services freely to anyone who may be interested (obviously a bit later in the year when conditions are non-winter in the mountains). I need the experience and I'm not quite a super-slick mountaineer like the highly experienced working Mountain Leaders out there, which is why I won't charge.

Please ask yourself: 'Would I pay for the services of a Mountain Leader?' If the answer is yes, then I cannot offer my service to you. It is not my wish to take paid work away from anyone, especially in these difficult times for the outdoor industry. 

I will only consider small groups of 4 or less, adults (over 18) and you'd need to arrange your own transport. I live in Glasgow, so I'd ideally limit my travel to locations in the Scottish Highlands, but I'm happy to go to remote and wild places.

Also note, I am offering my services in a free capacity and subsequently I am protected by Mountaineering Scotland's Combined Liability Insurance policy, however, I do not have professional insurance and I am not offering a professional service. Nonetheless, I will approach any activities with the same dedication that I would if I were a paid Mountain Leader.

Please signpost others to this. Thank you.

girlymonkey 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Osiris:

What aspect of leading do you feel you need to brush up on? I am in no need of a leader (I am a WML myself), but happy to be a mock client for you if you want to plan and nav the day etc. It may not give the full leading experience as I am unlikely to need your help to cross any tricky terrain etc, but happy to follow for the day if you want. (I can't promise I won't look at a map too, I am not good at disconnecting from nav, but I can keep my thoughts on it to myself unless I feel we are heading towards something dangerous!)

deleted user 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Just emailed you.

LucaC 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Osiris:

I think you're doing yourself a disservice here. If you have gained your ML then you know you are at a good standard.

The hard work of becoming a really good ML comes when you have actual clients, with actual expectations, on actual days out. Rather than looking to work for free, why don't you see which activity providers are running courses/mountain days/whatever and see if you can shadow for the experience? I've had a few people shadow me over the last year and it's always been a pleasure to have a second pair of hands, a different perspective, set of skills, and I've always come away thinking that I've learnt something from whoever is shadowing me based on their unique approach.

You are quite right that many, many, instructors are having a really hard time of it right now and I appreciate that you ask 'would you pay for an ML' but the honest answer is many people will take something for free, even if they would pay for it. 

OP Osiris 16 Jan 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I just need to take out people who aren't my friends and family essentially. Quite confident in my own abilities, but you can only learn so much from walking with mates. I need QMDs for MCI and I need to get used to working with different people each time. Happy to go out walking with you. I suppose it is better for me to go out with folks I may need to 'manage' rather than fellow leaders, but I just need QMDs so sure. I'll send you an email.

OP Osiris 16 Jan 2021
In reply to LucaC:

I hear what you're saying and you're absolutely right. Shadowing does sound like a good idea and I'll look into that, but I do also need experience practicing my skills as the sole leader and although working for someone would be ideal, it was difficult at best before the pandemic and now it's even harder. Who's going to hire a mountain leader with no industry experience when there is no doubt a bunch of people who've been grinding away at centres and emailing people fruitlessly for but a chance of employment? Have to get the wheels turning somehow. At least with some experience 'working' as an ML I'll be able to approach employers with confidence.

girlymonkey 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Osiris:

I'd say the other thing is to look at what your other skills are. I am a linguist, so much of my work is with foreign groups. Look for a company who is catering to your "niche". Are you an expert in geology? Flowers? History? Etc

Harry Ellis 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Have you thought of contacting local youth clubs and scout troops who may be glad of qualified volunteers? They may even be able to get you a DBS which will help in acquiring paid work. As said above don’t do yourself down. You have put a lot of work into your qualification. Doing some shadowing and allowing people to see you work with clients will be a good way of making the personal connection that is often what is most important in getting paid work. 
HTH

jezzah 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Hi there,

I'm really sorry that you have your ML and " don't see much chance of getting any work," please don't offer your services for free. You are doing yourself a disservice given that you have proven that you are at the correct standard to lead groups into the mountains in summer conditions. Why not invest some time in marketing yourself and has also been suggested above, how about teaming up with someone for a few days?

If you offer your services as a qualified ML for free it devalues the industry of instructors that are trying to make a living with their ML qualification. There are plenty of worthy groups e.g. scouts, guides, school groups, youth groups who would possibly love to have your assistance for free as a way around this. There are also plenty of groups on FB which you could tap into for ways to get clients.

Cheers

Jez
full time with RCI, Summer ML, Winter ML, Summer MCI set of qualifications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...