Fords of Avon winter crossing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I appreciate it's often down to conditions at the time but is this a complete non starter in winter? I've not been down there in summer either.

I was looking at heading into the Hutchison, over Christmas / new year, from the north, via Coire Odhar round the east of Bynack More to do the Munros around the Hutchison. Is this likely to be doable or would I be better off coming over via the ski centre and dropping down somewhere suitable depending on the conditions. Is the loch Avon outflow crossing any better than the ford?

Would Coire Raibert be the best option all round?

Ta.

DaveHK 21 Dec 2019
In reply to Professor Bunsen:

Entirely conditions dependent. It's often crossable in winter provided you don't mind a bit of wading but sometimes not. Going that way to the Hutchy but sounds like a bit of a long way round but I guess that depends on your exact route. It's very rare for the burns at the other end of the loch to be too high so that's a safer option.

Post edited at 19:29
 ScraggyGoat 22 Dec 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

With the installation of the stove, you may find the hutchy on Hogmanay to have more peaty liquid in it than the Avon......not my plan for New Year, just a forewarning.

Outwith of rain or thaw conditions the crossing at the fords is fine, obviously more pleasant with crocs or sandals, these are not compulsory, but recommended.

Post edited at 23:02
 Flinticus 23 Dec 2019

Did the crossing in Spring with snow covered banks either side. Used black bin bags over my boots & legs. Managed it with full backpack using walking axe to brace. Had to pick entry and exit points carefully.

lpretro1 23 Dec 2019

Camped at FoA one night in February a few years back after a walk over Bynack Mor and the river had frozen as had Loch Avon! Even the ptarmigan were frozen to the ground!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...