Fleetwith Pike - Scramble?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

After going up Fleetwith Pike and then going over Haystacks I noticed a rocky buttress going up the east flank of Fleetwith all the way to the summit. It looked like an interesting scramble or perhaps easy climb. Can't find much about it. Has anyone tried it before or can I bag the FA next time I head up?  

overdrawnboy 30 May 2018
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Probably impossible, no one will have been up there before, best leave it well alone for your own safety.

In reply to overdrawnboy:

> Probably impossible

You know you're talking to a climber right?

MG 30 May 2018

Isn't that where the quarry is? They get upset with people walking near the workings, although it is access land so they can't actually stop you.  That said I have explored the area quite closely and it is uniformly loose choss/vegetation as far as I could tell.

Mark Bull 30 May 2018

Can you be more precise about the location? 

In reply to Mark Bull:

See image here https://ibb.co/no6mNd

Lusk 30 May 2018

That's going up the North face, shirley?

As others have said, East is the path up from the mine entrance.

In reply to Lusk:

Ah looking at it now it's the south/south west face opposite Haystacks

MG 30 May 2018

It's still a pile of choss!  Trust me on this.  The side of Haystack directly opposite is also a pile of choss/vegetation/sheep.  

Chris Harris 30 May 2018

> Ah looking at it now it's the south/south west face opposite Haystacks

Spot on, overlooking Warnscale Bottoms. 

The crag is almost certainly Striddle Crag Buttress. 

Striddle Crag

R B Evans' scrambles book grades it 3S*.

OP needs a new compass!

Iain Thow 01 Jun 2018
In reply to MG:

Agreed, especially about Haystacks. The ye olde V Diff Striddle Crag Buttress, which goes up the crest of the crag, has some nice bits. I remember enjoying it, which is more than I can say for the scramble (which wasn't  all that much easier either).

cander 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

I spent a couple of excellent days on striddle crag back in 1978, it’s a bit off the beaten track but pedagogs chimney is fun and unusual- worth a visit.

Ratfeeder 06 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

Yep, Pedagogue's Chimney worth doing but Striddle is a very vegetated and broken crag on the whole. Grey Crags in Birkness Coombe are much better for scrambling / low grade climbing; lots worth doing there, with several enchainment possibilities.

The scramble is Striddle Crag and I found it very enjoyable, albeit with a nasty approach.  Its not the easiest scramble and quite committing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...