First time in the Alps, where to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
WilliamTi 10 Apr 2019

Hi all, 

Me and my wife are heading to the alps for the first 2 weeks of July, we have about 12 days there for a few climbs, to give us loads of time to acclimatize and generally hang about.

Our primary purpose is learning, we are there to experience alpine culture, get familiar with higher altitude mountaineering and walking, gain experience on glaciers and enjoy the scenery. We would also like to tackle a decent significant target.

At first we thought Chamonix, but it doesnt really sit too well, i'm not too keen on the idea that the alps = chamonix, i'm sure there must be many better and cheaper alternatives that give good value for our goals. 

We're both very fit and have been doing lots of big days in scotland over the winter with lots of ascent, 

Where would people suggest to go?

Do you have any specific routes that would suit us?

lpretro1 16 Apr 2019
In reply to WilliamTi:

I'd recommend the Tyrol - great network of huts, some lovely peaks with some glacier work but nothing too scary and very friendly people

jonnie3430 16 Apr 2019
In reply to WilliamTi:

Ailfroide in the Ecrins. Amazing campsite, best weather in the Alps, loads of climbing and a 4000m peak to aim for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...