dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gareth rees 21 Feb 2023

Hi My wife and I are looking into hut-to-hut walking in the Dolomites in mid-June this year.  We are in early 50's quite fit walkers but not mountaineers or serious climbers.  I would welcome advice on routes (4-5 days max), guided or non-guided, logistics and if it's suitable. Thanks Gareth

cragtyke 21 Feb 2023
In reply to gareth rees:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/dolomites

This may be a good starting point.

beardy mike 21 Feb 2023
In reply to gareth rees:

Rather than giving you specific advice, I'd suggest you take a look at the Alta Via routes, of which there are many. Most of these are over a week long, but it wouldn't be very difficult to choose a section of one of them. If you google Alta Via Dolomites, I am sure there will be plenty of information. Personally, my favourite areas are in the area between Lagozuoi and Civetta (tyhis is incorporated in one of the AV's, I think 1 or 2 but can't remember which, with the section from Nuvolau to Civetta being particularly spectacular. It's quite moderate walking with plenty of over night stops on the way. I'm guessing that particualar section would take 2-3 days depending on how quick you walk? Sella pass is also stunning, but it's so damned crowded in summer these days that it can feel a bit like a circus. Although mid June is a little bit earlier than the main season so you should have a good time. Make sure you book ahead - I would be asking now because the hut get pretty booked up.

jpicksley 21 Feb 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

I'd agree. AVs 1 and 2 are awesome. Cicerone guides by Gillian Price are worth the investment. I haven't been for a few years now but I'm definitely planning on a trip back to the Dolomites. Fantastic mountains and infrastructure. It's easy to go unguided and once you've been once and got a feel for the place you can just make up your own hut routes.

Enjoy.

Small Step 21 Feb 2023
In reply to gareth rees:

Hi Gareth,
mike & jp with good advice there - be careful with your dates: alpine club huts open on 20 June.
If you have to go earlier make sure they're private huts; they're usually open at the beginning of June. Suitable here are the huts in the Fanes / Lagozuoi / Averau area - and a first suggestion if I remember correctly: Fanes / Lavarella - Lagozuoi - Averau (gourmet food last time I was there) - Straulanza...walking past Monte Pelmo...
One of the best tours I've ever done was combining favourite sections of AV 1 & 2. It was awesome...
I'm going to indulge my reminscing self and go a bit more south than mike, where at the end of June it's not all that full, certainly no circus like in the north: 
AV 1: Straulanza - Vazzoler - Carestiato / Passo Duran - Pramperet - Pian de Fontana (skipping Pramperet is possible but it's a really long day)
AV 2: Passo Valles - Mulaz (great location, hut was awful though) - Rosetta - Treviso - Passo Cereda
Perhaps these are one 'stage' too long for your time frame.
Are you taking public transport or parking the car somewhere? Public transport is possible but probably adds a day at the start and the end.
I'd also get some Tabocco maps for the areas you're interested in - there are alternative paths between the huts (e.g. Rosetta - Treviso) than the classical AVs.
Another thing worth considering is staying at a hut two nights and the second day doing a tour from there, e.g. Pian de Fontana - Monte Schiara is a favourite; around Monte Pelmo from Straulanza another; also take in a small peak 'tour' from the hut in the late afternoon / early morning - e.g. Mulaz is easy to reach.
Last week I was in the Fanes for snowshoe tours - it could fit in nicely with mike's Lagozuoi recommendation.
I hope things work out for you and your wife - if they do I can imagine that your first time won't be the last...

Good luck!

OP gareth rees 22 Feb 2023

Thank you all this is really helpful. I am intending using public transport.  I will get the books and maps and start planning. 

Toerag 22 Feb 2023
In reply to gareth rees:

The 'Walking in the alps' book by Kev Reynolds might be useful too. I've looked at the AVs and other long distance alpine paths like the E4 etc. in the past and I find they often take quite low altitude routes when I'd rather take an alternative higher route with views. By all means use them as a guide (and the accommodation opportunities will be more reliable I suspect), but they can be improved upon - for example, for the sake of a 10 minute chairlift ride you can avoid a big slog through a forest with no views.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...