Dartmoor military zone crossing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Spuddy1990 13 Apr 2021

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a crossing point on Standon Down/ Standon Hill, in between Merrivale Range Danger area and Willsworthy Range Danger Area straight into Okehampton?

I have a couple of days off mid week but notice they are shooting in Merrivale and Willsworthy the days I want to go and was wondering if its possible to cross straight into Okehampton where the three areas meet on the NE side of Standon Hill?

Any help is much appreciated.

TMM 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

Yes it is possible but that does not necessarily mean that it is advised!

You would need to navigate accurately on to Western Red Lake about 1km south of where it meets the Tavy.

For a higher degree of clarity and safety could you start your walk further north at High Down, the Dartmoor Inn or Nodden gate? This allows you to access the Okehampton range on the north side of Willsworthy.

Phil79 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

I guess you mean the point the 3 range boundaries meet, and you could in theory cross between the two into Okehampton range?

Personally I wouldn't chance it. There is no 'crossing point' as far as I'm aware, the red flags will be up on both the other ranges so you'll be crossing a live range boundary, even if on paper its only for short distance until you're back in a 'non-live' range?

Best case, bollocking from range safety officer, worse case a round in the back of the head....

Cant you just start a walk from a bit further north (Lydford?) and walk out from there?

Post edited at 15:27
 BuzyG 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

There is an OP that will by flying a Red Flag, right on top of Standon Hill.  Possibly a friendly German Shepard sat there just waiting for a nice snack too.  Or a sentry on a Quad bike.

Actually the dogs I have come across are incredibly well trained. They get ahead of you and bark until the sentry/ handler catches up.  Been there done that. Friendly chat and on my way each time, as I was still well away from the rage boundary and not intending going that way.

As the others have said, Simply start your walk further North. Dartmoor Inn car park, the one up the lane to the left of the Inn. Not at the Inn it's self. Or Sourton Church car park, mid week, is another favourite of mine.

Have a good one anyway.

OP Spuddy1990 13 Apr 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Thanks for all the suggestions and quick responses.

It does indeed sound like a better idea to just start my hike a little further north, just thought I'd check if it was at all posslible there was an obvious crossover there.

What car park is best for leaving your beat up undesirable 1ltr car for a few nights? Moved from Scotland last year and have been missing the wild camping and been meaning to visit Dartmoor for ages!

Wingnut 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

>>What car park is best for leaving your beat up undesirable 1ltr car for a few nights?

FWIW, have left the various ancient wrecks I've owned at both Prewley waterworks and the car park behind the Dartmoor Inn, and never had problems in either. Removed anything of value, but didn't bother doing anything about the rubbish in the passenger footwell. Only bother I've had, in fact, was from a copper who was determined to have a word about  ... something ... and, having found out that the rustbucket du jour was in fact taxed, insured and MOTed, had a go at me for (a) parking in Barn Hill car park, (b) sitting on the boot lip to change into boots and (c) existing. Hmph.

BuzyG 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

Lots of free car parks where you should be fine leaving a shed on wheels for a few nights.  The two Wingnut Suggest are both ideal.  There is also Meldon Quarry, on the banks of Red a ven Brook.  One of the nicest way on to the moor from there. Either up red a ven to Yes tor or along the West Oakment past the reservoir towards Fur tor.

OP Spuddy1990 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

Thanks guys. Gives me lots of options.

I may actually explore Tors further south midweek and change car parks on saturday morning further north and head through the Tavy Cleave to Fur Tor on the saturday night. Where's the best place to park in Princetown for a couple of nights; or nearby Princetown? I do notice a lot of little car parks on google maps on the B roads, are these generally alright to leave cars over night in?

Cheers guys, never been to Dartmoor before so welcome of the insight! Just hoping for good weather when I finally go, although with worse weather you get fewer people so benefits to both really

Wainers44 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

Lots of options at Princetown.  Just outside the village on the B3212 there are a couple of good lay bys either side of the road. A little further out there are plenty of places to the S of the village on the lane towards Whiteworks or for N side look at Holming Beam or the end of the Yellowmeade track near Rundlestone 

BuzyG 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Spuddy1990:

If you have not wild camped on Dartmoor before you may find this map useful.

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/camping-map

Loads of space up there.

climbingbadger 14 Apr 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

> Actually the dogs I have come across are incredibly well trained. They get ahead of you and bark until the sentry/ handler catches up.  Been there done that. Friendly chat and on my way each time, as I was still well away from the rage boundary and not intending going that way.

They are remarkably well trained, but don't try to run from them. The dog is much, much faster than you are and they have a hell of a bite. If you're wearing the foam sleeve they use for training (which is about 2 inches thick) you can still feel the pressure from their canines - if I remember correctly, the dog managed to give me a bruise that lasted a week through all that padding. They don't let go either, you can physically lift the dog off the ground by raising your arm while it's biting you.

Big softies when they're not working though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...