Current Conditions on Sharpe Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robnights 29 Nov 2019

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the current conditions on Sharp Edge are? I've been wanting to tackle the ridge for some time. I've done a little winter scrambling before, and some full winter condition hiking in Scotland. However, I don't own an ice axe or crampons. Would they be necessary this time of year?

I'm assuming it'd be pretty icy up there, but can't find too much recent information other than MWIS forecasts.

Thanks! 

Johnhi 29 Nov 2019
In reply to robnights:

Looking at Skiddaw I'd expect some frost on the shaded side of the ridge + chimney. Since it's sunny, if you go left around the pinnacle at the "bad step" and directly up the slabs where it meets foul crag, you'll be on dry rock all the way, just more exposure.

In reply to robnights:

I was at the foot of Blencathra this morning and had to de-ice my windscreen. Don't attempt it if you don't have crampons etc

Edit. I wouldn't even fancy it in summer. It's a horrible little section.

Post edited at 15:06
Removed User 29 Nov 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> I was at the foot of Blencathra this morning and had to de-ice my windscreen. Don't attempt it if you don't have crampons etc

> Edit. I wouldn't even fancy it in summer. It's a horrible little section.

Its the shaley rock is a slippy was heck in the wet. The sloping slab is AKA the usual place in MRT reports.

Take care.

Clownfish 29 Nov 2019

Can't comment specifically on Sharp Edge but there is virtually no snow on the fells at the moment except for a few small isolated, hard patches. There was a heavy frost last night and will be again tonight so rocks everywhere are likely to be very slippery particularly where they are in the shade all day. They certainly were today on Bowfell/Crinkles. There is some water ice anywhere where there is seepage or standing water.

Post edited at 16:36
 MeMeMe 29 Nov 2019
In reply to robnights:

I've not been up there when it's been icy but it can be really slippery after rain so if you do go take care and don't be afraid to back off, you can always go up the path on the other side of the tarn and come back a different day!

(Sorry no specific knowledge of current conditions but it was icy up here in north cumbria last night so I'd have thought it's a bit icy up there too).

Dave Hewitt 29 Nov 2019
In reply to robnights:

I once - October 1985, yikes - came down Sharp Edge on a wet day with my sister. We'd gone up by Hall's Fell and I suggested Sharp Edge as an interesting way to vary the return. Can't recall any actual alarms, and we got down OK, but we were in cloud and rain and it felt quite steep coming off Foule Crag and greasy as anything along the edge itself. Haven't ever fancied doing it that way round again, even in the dry. The things you do when you're young...

Tom the tall 29 Nov 2019
In reply to robnights:

Local info- pretty wet yesterday and then 2 nights and day of clear skies and hard frost. Not been on the ridge, there’s no snow but a good chance of unpleasant iced rocks which would have held the damp from before the cold snap. Ok probably on the sunny side, but would be very cautious!

In reply to robnights:

Sharp Edge is dry and in full sun, no snow. Should be OK in trainers. However, any shady part on the north side could have verglas as it has been very cold at night, minus 9 in one village nearby last night.

DC

Root1 30 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Its the shaley rock is a slippy was heck in the wet. The sloping slab is AKA the usual place in MRT reports.

> Take care.

If in doubt take your boots off and walk across the the slab in your socks. Slightly damp feet are better than a spell in icu (or worse). 

robnights 17 Dec 2019

Thanks for all the replies, we decided to give it a miss, and tackled St Sunday Crag instead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...