Culra bothy Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JHOCKENHULL 18 Nov 2019

Is culra bothy still out with asbestos? Said it was closed in 2014 but still open? 

Garethza 18 Nov 2019
In reply to JHOCKENHULL:

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/central-highlands/culra/

"Bothy currently CLOSED due to asbestos."

skog 18 Nov 2019
In reply to JHOCKENHULL:

My understanding was that it may well be closed permanently, but that it may be possible to access an emergency room in a tight spot - say, if you should you find yourself momentarily less concerned about asbestosis than about freezing to death. It isn't somewhere I'd plan to stay in again.

But my information may be out of date.

Post edited at 16:25
 mcdweeb 18 Nov 2019
In reply to skog:you’re right, when I was there last summer, it was open and could be stayed in. The asbestos risk is minimal for one night really.

I’m not sure if this is for health and safety or they genuinely don’t want it used, The estate are very good re access and bothers so I’d hesitate to abuse their good will and stay there on a planned basis. There are great campsites near and beyond the bothy anyway and if you’re cycling in the a small tent is what I would recommend.

OMR 21 Nov 2019
In reply to mcdweeb:

The advice the MBA (and presumably the estate) has received is that there is no safe exposure. Obviously the longer you spend there the longer you are exposed to risk, but even one fibre can be enough to trigger mesothelioma years later. Not a nice way to go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...