Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Loading Notifications...

Covid 19 -Border Crossings on Foot

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 mypyrex 20:59 Sat

When we are able to get to Europe again on trekking holidays I'm just wondering how it will affect people doing treks like the TMB which involves three border crossings or in the Pyrenees where many walkers make frequent crossings between France and Spain and vice versa.

Does anyone anticipate future problems?

Tom V 21:58 Sat
In reply to mypyrex:

Would a walk along the Offa's Dyke path be similarly problematical on a lesser scale?

In reply to mypyrex:

> When we are able to get to Europe again on trekking holidays I'm just wondering how it will affect people doing treks like the TMB which involves three border crossings or in the Pyrenees where many walkers make frequent crossings between France and Spain and vice versa. > Does anyone anticipate future problems?

Depends what you mean by "future" - as I'm sure you know, France is also introducing a 14-day quarantine period:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52781812

mypyrex 08:44 Sun
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Depends what you mean by "future" - as I'm sure you know, France is also introducing a 14-day quarantine period:

Tour du Mont Blanc. Just think, Arrive in Chamonix - fourteen days quarantine, walk to Courmayeur  -  three to four days, fourteen days quarantine. Walk to La Fouly(Switzerland) - three days etc.

Time spent walking 11-12 days time in quarantine - France, Italy, Switzerland, back into France, return to UK 70 days :o{

Lankyman 08:49 Sun
In reply to mypyrex:

I walked a fairly long section of the HRP (between Lescun and Gavarnie) in two successive years and don't recall any manned border checkpoints at all. Admittedly it was over 30 years ago but in the intervening years I'd have thought it was unlikely to have changed given the ongoing relaxation of internal EU borders? Most times I was only aware of border crossings because of a line on the map or the change in language of passersby.

mypyrex 09:20 Sun
In reply to Lankyman:

> I walked a fairly long section of the HRP (between Lescun and Gavarnie) in two successive years and don't recall any manned border checkpoints at all. Admittedly it was over 30 years ago but in the intervening years I'd have thought it was unlikely to have changed given the ongoing relaxation of internal EU borders? Most times I was only aware of border crossings because of a line on the map or the change in language of passersby.

I was last in the Pyrenees in 2011 and it was certainly the same then as it was in 2917 when I did the TMB

In reply to mypyrex:

> I was last in the Pyrenees in 2011 and it was certainly the same then as it was in 2917 when I did the TMB

I don't think the OP was referring to that far in the future

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.