Covid 19 -Border Crossings on Foot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 May 2020

When we are able to get to Europe again on trekking holidays I'm just wondering how it will affect people doing treks like the TMB which involves three border crossings or in the Pyrenees where many walkers make frequent crossings between France and Spain and vice versa.

Does anyone anticipate future problems?

Tom Valentine 23 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Would a walk along the Offa's Dyke path be similarly problematical on a lesser scale?

profitofdoom 24 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> When we are able to get to Europe again on trekking holidays I'm just wondering how it will affect people doing treks like the TMB which involves three border crossings or in the Pyrenees where many walkers make frequent crossings between France and Spain and vice versa. > Does anyone anticipate future problems?

Depends what you mean by "future" - as I'm sure you know, France is also introducing a 14-day quarantine period:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52781812

OP mypyrex 24 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Depends what you mean by "future" - as I'm sure you know, France is also introducing a 14-day quarantine period:

Tour du Mont Blanc. Just think, Arrive in Chamonix - fourteen days quarantine, walk to Courmayeur  -  three to four days, fourteen days quarantine. Walk to La Fouly(Switzerland) - three days etc.

Time spent walking 11-12 days time in quarantine - France, Italy, Switzerland, back into France, return to UK 70 days :o{

Lankyman 24 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I walked a fairly long section of the HRP (between Lescun and Gavarnie) in two successive years and don't recall any manned border checkpoints at all. Admittedly it was over 30 years ago but in the intervening years I'd have thought it was unlikely to have changed given the ongoing relaxation of internal EU borders? Most times I was only aware of border crossings because of a line on the map or the change in language of passersby.

OP mypyrex 24 May 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> I walked a fairly long section of the HRP (between Lescun and Gavarnie) in two successive years and don't recall any manned border checkpoints at all. Admittedly it was over 30 years ago but in the intervening years I'd have thought it was unlikely to have changed given the ongoing relaxation of internal EU borders? Most times I was only aware of border crossings because of a line on the map or the change in language of passersby.

I was last in the Pyrenees in 2011 and it was certainly the same then as it was in 2917 when I did the TMB

In reply to mypyrex:

> I was last in the Pyrenees in 2011 and it was certainly the same then as it was in 2917 when I did the TMB

I don't think the OP was referring to that far in the future

Chris Shorter 25 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Polish border guards opened fire on people encroaching from the Czech side in the Giant Mountains!

We live close to the Czech-German border, which is still closed for non-essential travel but there doesn’t appear to be anything to prevent crossing it away from the main roads and railways. There is a big fine to enforce it though.

In reply to mypyrex:

Closer to home, even this walk would be technically illegal at present if you strayed over the border from England to Scotland: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1284

Frank R. 25 May 2020
In reply to Chris Shorter:

> Polish border guards opened fire on people encroaching from the Czech side in the Giant Mountains!

Come on, don't spread false news

Saw that on a news site about a month ago, and it went somewhat differently - guards fired two warning shots as a German guy (Czech resident) attempted to cross the CZ/PL border on foot - after they stopped his car and informed him that border was closed. And it was a regular road border crossing, nowhere near the Giant Mountains. Still serious (and there were many areas where the closures deeply affected local cross-border communities, at first even separating families), but not panicky like "guards opened fire on people encroaching". Not that I would condone even warning shots, of course!

Sure, the HRP and other routes that crisscross the borders frequently might be difficult,  as the situation might still change a lot and it's a bit early to tell.

Dan, I'd definitely like to see an UKH article with updated information on that, if the borders open up enough by the summer! 

Post edited at 14:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...