Conditions in Ben Nevis & Glencoe area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Southvillain 13 May 2019

Am up in Glencoe next week, planning on walks including Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete, and Aonach Eagach, etc. Just wondered what conditions were like? Current forecast seems warm (but cooling). Am planning for all eventualities, but wondered if there's any snow left up high to worry about? Thanks.

Post edited at 08:32
 it624 13 May 2019
In reply to Southvillain:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/nevisrange/

Looks like some patches hanging about, and they'll be pretty consolidated and slippy this time of year

OP Southvillain 13 May 2019
In reply to it624:

That's really helpful. Thanks. S.

Pero 13 May 2019

I'm in Glencoe. There's nothing on the Aonach Eagach. And very little anywhere that I can see. 

JamieH 13 May 2019

Climbed Number 4 gully on the Ben on Saturday, axe and crampons. Bit of fresh snow last week on a firm bed of old snow. And I wasn’t the only one skiing in Coire na Ciste! The 3 Peaks crowds seemed to be coping on the well pisted finale of the Pony track. 

OP Southvillain 14 May 2019
In reply to JamieH:

> The 3 Peaks crowds seemed to be coping on the well pisted finale of the Pony track. 

Jamie - I'll be sending friends up the Pony Track. When you say "well pisted" at the top, are boots on their own sufficient (or do they need to carry crampons? Seems over-cautious, but they'll curse me if they need them!)

it624 14 May 2019

Take the crampons, call it "weight training" if they turn out to be unnecessary?

OP Southvillain 14 May 2019
In reply to it624:

> Take the crampons, call it "weight training" if they turn out to be unnecessary?

Thanks!

DaveHK 14 May 2019
In reply to it624:

> Take the crampons, call it "weight training" if they turn out to be unnecessary?

I wouldn't bother, any patches on the tourist path are likely to be small/low angled/well tracked/soft/easily avoided.

Post edited at 19:54
 JamieH 14 May 2019

Snow was only on the gentle final slopes, so hundreds were managing fine without any winter additives! Keep clear of any lingering corniced edges, like Tower Gully. 

Pero 15 May 2019
In reply to it624:

The snow is gone, gone, gone. Even Tower Ridge is free of snow. There is almost nothing left except in gullies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...