Compass Polarity Fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kathrync 23 Jul 2018

Just a quick note - if you are on a multiday hike in poor visibility, when you collapse exhausted in your tent take the time to empty your pockets and check that you haven't flung your jacket into the end of your tent such that your phone is lying on top of your compass...

Anyone who may have been watching me wandering round in circles in the clag on the Trotternish Ridge yesterday must have had a laugh!

mauraman 23 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

As long as you managed to get where you needed to go and you got there safely, is just another lesson learned! Thanks for the heads up! It will help many. sometimes details like that are easily ovrlooked.

Tringa 23 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

This has been mentioned on here before, but it is worth repeating. I heard about it first in relation to magnetic fasteners on outdoor clothing but having played about with a compass and a phone, the phone's field is strong.

Bad luck about the clag.

Dave

OP kathrync 23 Jul 2018
In reply to mauraman:

> As long as you managed to get where you needed to go and you got there safely, is just another lesson learned! Thanks for the heads up! It will help many. sometimes details like that are easily ovrlooked.

Yep, I took a couple of unplanned detours until I figured out why I was suddenly so bad at navigation, but got where I was going.  Lesson learnt!  Yes, easy to overlook, especially when you are tired and wet at the end of a long day!

In reply to kathrync:

That's why top-class orienteering is such a demanding sport. When you have run hard for an hour, then the fatigue kicks in, the degradation of mental capacity becomes a real challenge! No phone to complicate matters however.

DC

OP kathrync 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Yeah, my phone might have been the cause of the problem, but it was also a saviour.  I am not a big fan of high-tech navigation, but it did help me figure out what the problem was and relocate myself.  I am glad I already had OS Locate installed as I wouldn't have had the signal to download it.  Another point to bear in mind.  I will probably start carrying a spare compass in future, especially if I am out solo again.

profitofdoom 23 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

> Anyone who may have been watching me wandering round in circles in the clag on the Trotternish Ridge yesterday must have had a laugh!

Ha. I set off from London to the Alps yesterday and ended up in Glasgow

OP kathrync 23 Jul 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Ha. I set off from London to the Alps yesterday and ended up in Glasgow

That's a bit of a detour!

subtle 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

> That's why top-class orienteering is such a demanding sport. When you have run hard for an hour, then the fatigue kicks in, the degradation of mental capacity becomes a real challenge! No phone to complicate matters however.

Na, that's why geocacheing is way better than olde worlde orienteering - you don't have to run for an hour, don't get degradation of mental capacity but you do sometimes get the  bonus of a badge/toy etc. when you find a cache

tlouth7 23 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

I'm confused as to why this is a problem, surely it is hard to get lost while inside your tent?

OP kathrync 23 Jul 2018
In reply to tlouth7:

> I'm confused as to why this is a problem, surely it is hard to get lost while inside your tent?

It was the bit the next morning when I carried on walking that was a problem...  You are correct, within my coffin-sized tent it was a little hard to get lost.

In reply to subtle:

> Na, that's why geocacheing is way better than olde worlde orienteering - you don't have to run for an hour, don't get degradation of mental capacity but you do sometimes get the  bonus of a badge/toy etc. when you find a cache

I saw one of the those on the top of High Stile on Saturday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...