Combs Moss circular walk from Buxton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hthom 05 Oct 2021

At the end of August I headed up on to Combs Moss above Buxton for a few hours of good walking. I was lucky to be up there to see the heather in full bloom and visit the various points of interest along the way including Black Edge Trig Point, an old WWII bomb crater and Castle Naze crag. 

A lovely walk that I would highly recommend for anyone in the area looking for a bit of solitude. I made this short video for anyone interested in finding out more about the walk and wants to see the scenery. The walk in total is about 9-10 miles if you start and finish in Buxton Town centre. I hope anyone that watches enjoys. 

youtube.com/watch?v=4gBri6_APUY&

Offwidth 05 Oct 2021
In reply to hthom:

Thanks for that. I'd add a fun game for adventurous climbers is to add a named climb for each named crag in The Roaches guide as you do the circuit (this doesn't include the loose rock of White Hall Crag as it doesn't have named routes in the latest guide).

mostlyrambling 08 Oct 2021
In reply to hthom:

Great stuff, enjoyed that.

I live in Dove Holes so it's a route I've done myself a fair few times.  I didn't know about the crater, though - I'll have to investigate that.

On a good day, from Black Edge you can see the edges on the eastern side of the Peak District, down to Minninglow and even as far as the wind turbines near Carsington Water.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B55w0EaD0SC/?utm_medium=copy_link

In reply to hthom:

I believe the crater was made by a V1 "Doodlebug" rocket.  

In reply to hthom:

This walk would enable you to collect some of Joe Brown's Numbers, an interesting orienteering challenge originated by JB when he was at Whitehall.

https://www.goyt-valley.org.uk/joe-browns-numbers/

I completed it a few years ago and the numbers were still visible.

OP hthom 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

You're right, I have since learned that the information I was given was incorrect and it was the V1 as you say, not dropped from a plane. I will have to update the video description with a correction. 

OP hthom 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mostlyrambling:

Thank you, i'm glad you enjoyed the video, it really is a great place to walk up there. I was luckily told about the crater by somebody otherwise I would never have known it was there. (I have since learned that it was made by a V1 not dropped from a plane, still a very interesting spot all the same). 

Love the photos on your link, you really can see for miles. 

Lankyman 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> I believe the crater was made by a V1 "Doodlebug" rocket.  

All the way from the Continent? Wikipedia gives their range as 160 miles. Doesn't that put the Peak District out of range (assuming it was fired by the Germans)?

Clauso 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> All the way from the Continent? Wikipedia gives their range as 160 miles. Doesn't that put the Peak District out of range (assuming it was fired by the Germans)?

You need to allow for continental drift in the interim. 

Lankyman 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Clauso:

> You need to allow for continental drift in the interim. 

Well, we have drifted a long way off Europe since Brexit I suppose

OP hthom 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I believe it was fired from somewhere off of the west coast.

Clauso 11 Oct 2021
In reply to hthom:

> I believe it was fired from somewhere off of the west coast.

The Isle of Man? 

Clauso 11 Oct 2021
In reply to hthom:

This bloke reckons that they were fired from Heinkels approaching the east coast. All of this is news to me; I wasn't aware that V1s were capable of air launches...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockportmike/5172784708

Clauso 11 Oct 2021
In reply to hthom:

Seems that it's all kosher, after all:

https://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-raids-bomb-sites/luftwaffe-v1-attack-on-man...

... You live and learn. 

Lankyman 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Clauso:

> This bloke reckons that they were fired from Heinkels approaching the east coast. All of this is news to me; I wasn't aware that V1s were capable of air launches...

Beware the Hun in the sun!

OP hthom 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Clauso:

A good bit of info, thank you for sharing. Very interesting to learn some of this history. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...