Cherry Laurel plantation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wintertree 20 Apr 2021

Walking in the hills recently, we came across a conifer plantation that's recently been expanded.  One side has a sizeable chunk of mixed deciduous trees planted, and the other has a single row of what appears to be Cherry Laurel.  I'd say it looks to be too established to be getting grown for sale as hedging, and I'm at a loss for why else someone would farm it.

Any and all insight welcomed!

Mark Collins 20 Apr 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Intriguing. I've found out that Cherry Laurel is deerproof whatever that means, but perhaps is something to do with it. 

OP wintertree 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Mark Collins:

Interesting; thanks.  

A lot of Laurel types are cyanide rich - as I twigged when happily shredding a load in the garden one day until smelling almond... - so I can see why some herbivores would have an aversion to it.  

This was the northern flank of the wood.  The eastern flank was protected by a dry stone wall; a new fence had been added which I assumed was for sheep protection but perhaps it’s deer too.  The fence was a ribbon running along the top section of the wall but not above it; I assumed it was an obstacle to hoofs getting traction on the rock.  Deer seem to clear jump walls compared to sheep though.  There’s a photo below - I took it before we got to the woods.

Definitly seems like the new land owner has some different ideas. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...