Ceannacroc Bridge to Aonach Shasuinn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone been up this route by the River Doe in the past year. I understand there is yet another hydro scheme being built up here and am wondering about the state of devastation to be encountered. I am  all in favour of hydro normally but these run of river schemes are out of control. Cycled up to Bendronaig lodge on Thursday to do Beinn Dronaig - last up this way 5 years ago. Since then a combination of hydro schemes and now forest felling has left a 5 meter wide dusty highway. I encounted 3 diggers, 2 large artics carrying logs, 4 workers caravans and and at least 6 4x4 vehicles. The road runs all 12 kilometres to Beinn Dronaig lodge and some distance beyond. I had 2 similar encounters in Glen Affric recently and am getting a wee bit pissed off with the whole issue. 

Siward 02 Jun 2018
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

They are becoming rife aren't they and I'm sure there will be hefty incentives or tax breaks for the owners. The test will come when they have been installed - will the land be made good afterwards or are they  (more likely) going to leave grubbed up vehicle tracks up every Glen? 

Mark Bull 02 Jun 2018

They seem to be doing a lot of damage compared to the relatively small amounts of electricity being generated. Part of the problem seems to be highly ineffective monitoring of whether the schemes are sticking to the planning applications, especially with regard to landscape restoration. Reports by parkswatchscotland suggest this isn’t being adequately policed inside the nationals parks, and one can only assume that it is worse elsewhere.

The Munro Society and Mountaineering Scotland are inviting reports: see http://www.themunrosociety.com/latest-news/small-hydro-schemes-survey

Post edited at 15:36
Removed User 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Siward:

The tracks will all weather a little but they will remain and will need to be maintained for access, so I'm afraid most of the infrastructure is as permanent as the hydro. I noticed a new (to me) track last weekend going up between Gleouraich and Spider Mialach. Stuck out like a sore thumb from Sgurr an Fhuarain.

m dunn 02 Jun 2018

Bit of a motorway blasted as far as power station but will recover. Great camping possibly by the burn. Fine views to Conbhairean. Decent estate bothy open when I passed. 

In reply to m dunn:

Thanks for info.

Siward 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Yes last time I was on those hills a couple of years ago there were diggers everywhere 

Jamie Hageman 03 Jun 2018

It's happening everywhere now.  Every time I go walking, there seem to be new tracks bulldozed up to sometimes quite high altitudes.  Another unsightly one I saw today on the West flank of Rois Bheinn in Moidart.  Went for a walk a couple of days ago just past Glenfinnan and saw another being made.  It would be interesting to see an updated Google Earth view of the Highlands - you would be able to see just how many tracks there are now.

Can landowners in the Lake District and Snowdonia do the same thing?

Post edited at 20:25

I did the walk yesterday. Not as bad as feared.  All work is completed and construction vehicles all gone. The access road is not bad and vegetation at verges is now growing back. Even the power plant buildings are made of wood. For anyone wanting to take a bike up this way it's a good surface. Quite feasible to link this Corbett with Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Carn Ghluasaid in a nice long round. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...