Carnedd Llewelyn - Advice on route please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DIYDave 20 Sep 2018

Hi Guys, could do with a bit of advice on a planned walk up Carnedd Llewelyn. I've downloaded the circular route from Trail Magazine (March 2018) & it's approx 12 mile long & starts approx 4.5miles North East of Carnedd Llewelyn (as the crow flies) near  Llanbedr-y-Cennin. It circles the northern side of Llyn Dulyn, taking in the peaks of Foel Fras, Carnedd Gwenllian (formerly Carnedd Uchaf), Foel Grach & then Carnedd Llewelyn. The return leg will take me south of Melynllyn Reservoir & descending via Craig Eigiau &  Cerrig Cochion, crossing the dam on Afon Dulyn and then heading back to the start point. Whilst I am a fairly experienced hillwalker, I have never walked in the Carneddau and would value any advice. What is the terrain likely to be like, are the paths reasonably clear (or indeed are there paths), are there any scrambles required (I don't like heights) and does it feel very remote? Can I expect reasonable views (of course, subject to the weather!!!). Thanks in advance. 

wynaptomos 20 Sep 2018
In reply to DIYDave:

Carneddau tend to be very rounded and featureless, especially the northern part which is what you are describing. You won’t come across any scrambling and if you keep to the route, you should have no issues with heights. The only issues you may have is that the paths aren’t always well-defined, especially on your descent towards Craig eigiau where they are mostly non-existent. This, especially with the nature of the terrain, can make route finding difficult if the weather isn’t clear. In good weather, the views are as good as they get in Snowdonia, in my opinion.

Y Gribin 20 Sep 2018
In reply to DIYDave:

I agree with Wynaptomos. Generally the Carneddau offer the most remotest side of Snowdonia and the walk you describe takes you into the remotest side of the Carneddau.

I know your route in parts and did the descent fairly recently. There was not much path on the ground towards Eigiau. 

If that puts you off then you could follow the crowds up Llewelyn from Ogwen.......but I’d go for it! Revel in the wilderness. On a clear day, you will have widespread views. On your descent you could persuade yourself you’re in Scotland

Post edited at 17:39
DIYDave 20 Sep 2018
In reply to wynaptomos:

Thanks very much for your helpful reply, much appreciated. David

DIYDave 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Thanks, will definitely go for it. Very much appreciate your advice. David

In reply to DIYDave:

As above.....

Great route, with fantastic views in good weather ( good contrast between the mountain views Southwards, the flatlands of Anglesey to the NW and across the Conwy valley to the green hills and distant Clwydian range to the East). 

The terrain is rolling grass/heather/bracken covered hills with some rocky crags/ outcrops (esp. above the lakes) but no scrambling. 

Apart from the 'motorway' along the main Carneddau ridge, paths are largely non-existent (or worse, confusing sheep tracks) so good navigation is needed, especially in mist (Compass use to establish fall-line direction is usually the key). It can feel VERY remote at times!!

Post edited at 21:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...