Carn A' Maim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 25 Sep 2018

Advice for a munroist.......Is anyone familiar with Carn A'Maim to the south of Ben Macdhui?  Its the one munro I have left in the Cairngorms. Which is the shortest most comfortable route from the Aviemore side? Is it over the tops via Ban Macdhui, or through the Lairig Ghru? It looks a close run thing. Thanks. 

mountainbagger 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

I approached from Cairngorm and Ben Macdhui and descended into Lairig Ghru afterwards. Haven't done it the other way, but don't remember the descent being very interesting, so ascent (and descent again - which is I presume what you are planning) from Lairig Ghru may be a bit dull and not a lot quicker (if at all).

I actually liked the approach from Ben Macdhui.

Harry Jarvis 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Do you have to start from Aviemore? A more usual starting point would be the Linn of Dee - along to Derry Lodge and the Luibeg Burn, and then steep uphill from the burn - followed by a pleasant circuit initially NNW to the end of the ridge and then NE to Creagan a Choire Etchachan and south to Derry Cairngorm. Or at least I think that's how I did it, some years ago. 

If you must go from the Aviemore side, I'd go over the top via Ben Macdui. The northern section of the Lairig Ghru from Rothiemurcus doesn't have many attractions. 

Captain Solo 25 Sep 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

Or you could make it a circular trip by approaching over Ben Macdui and returning via the Lairig Ghru 

OP Phil1919 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Yes. No car so Aviemore easier to get to, otherwise I think your route would be favourite.

OP Phil1919 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Captain Solo:

Yep, I think that will be my choice then, thanks.

mountainbagger 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Captain Solo:

> Or you could make it a circular trip by approaching over Ben Macdui and returning via the Lairig Ghru 

Sorry, should have been clearer, that's what I was recommending too

Or camp overnight and return via Devil's Point, Carn Toul, Angel's Peak and Braeriach on the other side of the Lairig Ghru the next day (which is what I did).

Robert Durran 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> If you must go from the Aviemore side, I'd go over the top via Ben Macdui. The northern section of the Lairig Ghru from Rothiemurcus doesn't have many attractions. 

Apart from glorious Caledonian Pine forest gradually giving way to the rugged granitic grandness of the high arctic like Cairngorms.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...