Cannock Chase?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 briansy 23 Nov 2022

Hi all, I'm not sure if Hillwalking is the best forum for this, but I am off to the Lakes again in December and wanting to break up my drive on the way down. I went on Google maps and saw that Cannock Chase is bang on half way back to London and seems to be a popular area for hiking. Going on AllTrails, Komoot etc reveals dozens of routes, so it can be difficult to discern the best of those for a one off and which are merely good but included for the sake of variety. I wondered if anyone was familiar with the area and would recommend an optimal 10-12K circular walking / hiking route for a "one and done" such as myself?

In reply to briansy:

Wandering around the ruins of Beaudesert and going to Ironring is worthwhile. I grew up near there but I haven't been back in more than 20 years so that's about all the advice I can offer!

CantClimbTom 23 Nov 2022
In reply to briansy:

Also worth considering if you're happy to cut across the A50 or something and use the M1 to go south would be to take that halfway ish stop near Loughborough and then you have beacon hill, walking and climbing, and/or the Charnwood forest area

Iain Thow 23 Nov 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I grew up nearby too and used to go there a lot, then went back for a day in 2019. I would recommend a loop from Seven Springs (on the NE edge), up SW to the Glacial Boulder, then north to the Milford hills and back. About 7-8 miles. Many of the paths had moved in my 30 year absence but the feel of the place was still pretty similar.

jdcmongoose 23 Nov 2022
In reply to briansy:

Castle Ring has some nice little walks around it and down into Beaudesert old park. Unfortunately, the old estate with the manor house ruins, ponds etc is private property and owned by the scout association so  it's pretty hard to get onto/off site.

A few nice walks over the heathland area around brocton coppice, a loop starting from Coppice Hill/Punchbowl car parks and taking in the old WW1 camp and down to the Commonwealth and German cemetries, then back up through the valley. Another nice route would be to cross the A513 and follow the Staffordshire way through the Shugborough estate and then back down the canal to seven springs and then along through the old oak forest (maybe stopping off in Great Haywood to see Tolkein's House and visit the pub).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...