Bwlch Maesgwm (Telegraph Valley) path ‘improvement’.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JRS 19 Oct 2022

On my way down Snowdon yesterday I saw work has begun on ‘improving’ the final section of the Bwlch Maesgwm (Telegraph Valley) path. 

A small team with a digger had made a start on laying a gravel track leading right from the road just above the Pen-y-Ceunant cafe at the bottom of the Llanberis Path up Snowdon. With only a couple of hundred metres left to do there will soon be a well-graded track going all the way from Llanberis to the bwlch and linking to the Snowdon Ranger Path. 

No doubt when it’s finished the new track will tempt quite a few walkers/mountain bikers to do a circular route up Snowdon instead of just going up and down the Llanberis Path, but it seems a shame that what was once one of the quieter routes will now see a lot more traffic.

CantClimbTom 19 Oct 2022
In reply to JRS:

Honestly I don't see the problem, the Llanberis path is hardly the most wild and secluded walk in Eryri/Snowdonia. Since early Victorian times it has been a track for the masses. If it helps open the outdoors to people who would otherwise be excluded  - why not?

It helps keeps the less experienced "I Conquered Mount Snowdon" brigade in one place and sticking to the path, means they're less likely to get lost etc. There's a lot of wins. Not sure it will encourage many more people to do circular walks?

OP JRS 19 Oct 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

As you say there might be some wins with the new track. It might encourage people to try a different route up Snowdon from Llanberis other than the usual Llanberis Path.

Somebody walking up the road from Llanberis to get to the start Llanberis Path will reach the start of the new track first (just past the cafe). I guess there might be a sign saying ‘Snowdon via Bwlch Maesgwm/Snowdon Ranger Path’ (and perhaps a notice board/map explaining the route) and thereby encouraging people to try it. Previously the indistinct grassy path that left the road wasn’t signposted and rarely used. It’s about 2km further to the top of Snowdon than the Llanberis path and apart from the steep section on the Snowdon Ranger path it’s steady going so shouldn’t be a problem for most walkers. Some might be tempted to go over Moel Cynghorion from the bwlch which is worth the extra effort.

All in all, I can see it becoming a popular route to the top of Snowdon, with a return down the Llanberis Path, that will open up a new area to many but which may spoil an otherwise quiet valley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...