Buxton area walking - Recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hthom 16 Apr 2021

Having recently moved to the Buxton area I have rediscovered how enjoyable and mentally beneficial a good walk can be. I have even started to document some of my walks on video to share the beautiful scenery with my family, who are not local, and anybody else that wants to have a watch. 

I always like coming across 'unusual/interesting' things and places when out on a walk, last week I had an explore of the area around Errwood Hall ruins in the Goyt Valley. Please let me know any recommendations you may have for the area and I will be sure to go and enjoy them. 

Thanks,

Harrison

P.s. - For anyone interested in the videos I have made so far please feel free to have a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuvMIYfnN9lYHOBQxKTAplw/featured

joeramsay 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

The bushes on the steep slope right behind Errwood Hall have a fun 'tunnel' going up through them. More fun going down but easier to find the first time going up. You might find newts on the path from Errwood up to Shining Tor once it gets a bit warmer.

Loads to explore in the Goyt - my fave used to be to turn left instead of right at 3.37 in your Goyt video - goes through some really nice country and brings you out at the top of Macclesfield Old Road, you won't see half as many people along there as on the big tracks. Might have missed toad mating season, went down there last spring as it was a proper toad orgy.

The local instagram spot, three shire heads, is nice but busy - if you head there over Axe Edge from Macc Old Road you likely won't meet another soul until you get to the pools. Maybe one to save for a sunny weekday - can be pretty bleak on top of Axe Edge.

There's another roman road going off the Manchester road just after you leave Buxton (going towards Whaley). Turn right off it after a little bit to access Combs Moss, which is lovely (but again bleak), and can be a long walk or an evening shortie which drops you back at Lightwood Reservoir depending on whether you go left or right, or keep going past Whitehall (there's a Joe Brown's number to keep an eye out for), cross the main road and drop back down into the Goyt.

Post edited at 11:07
 tjdodd 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

You've got loads within a few miles.  Try the Roaches area, Chrome and Parkhouse Hills, Wye Valley.  If you are new to the Peak District then you are not far from Castleton and everything around there.

I always think the best thing is to buy the White Peak OS map and head off randomly on the trails.

Bulls Crack 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Gosh - Where to start?!  Buxton obv Loads of choice with the limestone dales almost from  your door, (the central area plus also  the I think pleasanter South and Western ones going nto Staffordshire) the Roaches etc to the south and the Chrome hill area is fascinating.

Just  avoid going into Harpur Hil! 

OP hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

Fantastic, thank you very much for all your recommendations. Plenty of walking to keep me busy. 

Thank you and have a great weekend. 

OP hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly be buying the White Peak OS map this weekend now. I have climbed in the peak for a good few years so I am familiar with some areas but the walking side of things is something a bit more new to me. 

OP hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Thank you for the advice, there certainly seems to be an endless list of places to go walking. 

Out of curiosity why do you say to avoid harper hill? 

Prof. Outdoors 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Lovely part of the world.

On Christmas Day last year I did the perimeter of Black Edge (507m) to the north of Buxton. Easy access via Lightwood reservoir. I went anti clockwise. I was just walking but the climbs at Castle Naze were covered in snow. Can be boggy but ground was frozen. Really nice western aspect overlooking Cheshire and a cracking sunset. Only met one other person on her pre-Christmas dinner walk.

OP hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Sounds like a fantastic day out, we certainly get some amazing sunsets (and sunrises) up here. Im heading to Castle Naze tomorrow funnily enough, I'm sure it will be a bit warmer than when you went. 

Maggot 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

You have to go up Shutlingsloe, you can see it from just about everywhere.
Great little hill.

OP hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Maggot:

Just googled and instantly recognised the hill. Has always looked interesting when driving near by. Thanks for the recommendation, another for the to do list. 

In reply to hthom:

Go east to Millers Dale and walk along the River Wye to Chee Dale. Stunning scenery and fun on the stepping stones! Return to Millers Dale on the Monsal Trail.

S Ramsay 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Gradbach, Back Forest, Danebrigde, Lud's church, is my favourite area near Buxton, an absolutely beautiful woodland by the river Dane leading onto a gritstone edge with the novelty of Lud's church thrown in. There have been parking issues recently, the main car park at Gradbach is quite small and fills up quickly at the weekend. I believe that a local farmer has been charging £10 per day to park in a field so bear that in mind. You can also get a good circular walk directly from Buxton by accessing the Goyt Valley from Macclesfield Old Road and following it round to Bishop's Lane

Qwertilot 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

> Thank you for the advice, there certainly seems to be an endless list of places to go walking. 

> Out of curiosity why do you say to avoid harper hill? 

Not quite sure - unlovely but I've been through it a few times to reach the upper Dovedale hills (Chrome, Park house etc.). Really lovely.

Once it gets reasonable to get buses again you can actually get the bus S from Buxton to Tissington and walk the whole length of Dovedale back to Buxton. Very recommendable!

joeramsay 16 Apr 2021
In reply to S Ramsay:

Not sure I didn't already suggest that last one mein bruder :p

abr1966 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Goyt is a great area for walking....I'm down the road from you in Kettleshulme. I bet I've averaged 3-4 times a week in Goyt for the past 20 years, u never tire of it and there are lots of places off the beaten track for a wander...

I rarely go on a weekend though unless it's early on or late!!

OP hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Thank you all for all the suggestions. Some great looking walks from you all that I will be sure to go on. I really appreciate all the advice. 
H

Bulls Crack 19 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Bit of a long-standing joke on here  - a rather dismal climbing venue. Some like it though! 

Bulls Crack 19 Apr 2021
In reply to hthom:

Shutlingsloe also features prominently  in the denouement of the Weirdstone of Brisingamen 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...