Best route to Buttermere for disabled driver

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyP_UK 15 Mar 2023

Hi,

I've some elderly relatives who we are due to meet in Buttermere. Very long story short: the driver is partly disabled and the passenger a nervous driver. What is the best or easiest driving route to Buttermere village? I'm guessing the options are either via Keswick and the Honister Pass or Braithwaite and the Whinlatter Pass.

The driver with the disability is a competent driver but is concerned about any "epic" reversing needed if meeting a passing car on a single track. So I guess part of the question is: which route has the most passing places or has fewer single track sections?

Many thanks in advance. AP

Lankyman 15 Mar 2023
In reply to AndyP_UK:

You could avoid the higher routes altogether and come in from the Cockermouth direction, Vale of Lorton and by Crummock Water? Longer and still some narrower bits in places but no big drops or steep gradients that I recall.

OP AndyP_UK 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check the map and recommendation. Many thanks, AP

johnlc 15 Mar 2023
In reply to AndyP_UK:

Don't come in via the Newlands Valley.  Probably not via Honister either.  Whinlatter not too bad at all but I agree with the person who posted about coming in from the North.  It is a long way but on the widest roads.

Mike-W-99 15 Mar 2023
In reply to AndyP_UK:

Might be wrong but I remember a narrowish road coming in from the north with hedgerows either side making it tricky to spot oncoming traffic.

I was glad I was following the bus

Jimbo C 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

I remember the Vale of Lorton part being on pretty wide roads, but as you leave Buttermere village heading South along the lakeside it gets a bit more challenging.

You might be right, I think there is a narrow hedge lined section just after the Loweswater turn, but I can't remember properly. 

RobAJones 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Jimbo C:

> You might be right, I think there is a narrow hedge lined section just after the Loweswater turn, but I can't remember properly. 

There is, but it's not too long and better than the other options. The the visibility will be the problem as there are plenty of passing places, so no one should need to reverse any distance. If going in that way I'd also consider turning off the A66 at Embleton. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...