Best Lakes Option this Weekend (without crampons/axe)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 raussmf 02 Mar 2020

In short got an unexpected full day in the lakes this weekend to either walk, sport climb or boulder.

Neither of us own crampons or axes so presumably any walk worth doing is a no go? Any advice would be much apprecated.

Thanks

Post edited at 13:50
 Lankyman 02 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

Why would any walk be a no go? There is virtually a limitless number you could do at all kinds of levels. When are you going? What are you concerned about?

OP raussmf 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Apologise let me rephrase.

Can anyone recommend a decent walk suitable for someone with no winter experience or gear.

Thanks

Lankyman 02 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

You're still not being very clear, given the huge number of options. Eg do you have any bad weather gear at all, navigational experience (or maps), where are you travelling from (some bits of the Lakes  are easier to access from north or south)?

I did a walk from Elterwater last week when the high fells were being blasted by storms and it was fine. We visited two nice waterfalls via Elterwater lake, Cathedral Quarry, Blea Tarn and over Lingmoor Fell (west to east so that the gale was behind us - it makes all the difference, believe me). About 10 miles.

graeme jackson 02 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

> Apologise let me rephrase.

> Can anyone recommend a decent walk suitable for someone with no winter experience or gear.

> Thanks

In that case I'd suggest the walk from the Bells close carpark to the Bank Tavern

OP raussmf 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes have plenty warm outdoor gear minus the crampons and axe. Along with plenty climbing equipment.

Two of us are meeting in the middle travelling from Edinburgh and Manchester and had the intention of doing striding edge however wont be due to the winter conditions so looking for a good plan B. 

Lankyman 02 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

If you're heading for Patterdale anyway you could take a steamer from Glenridding and get off at Howtown. From there go up to Martindale Hause and Hallin Fell. Down to the lake at Sandwick Bay then shore path back to Glenridding. Lakeland essential.

Post edited at 15:15
In reply to raussmf:

You could always try the best and most reliable sport crag in Cumbria. 

Kendal Wall

Lankyman 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Kendal Wall

Really? All the way from Edinburgh just to go on a wall? OP get outside and enjoy the weather whatever it throws at you.

Dark-Cloud 02 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

How far do you want to walk ? There is loads to go at around there in winter without worrying about crampons etc.

In reply to Lankyman:

FFS

C Witter 02 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

Lots of low-level options. There's a good round you can do going up Catbells, Maidenmoor, High Spy and Castle Crag, then back by the shore of Derwent Water - quite low level, so unlikely to have more than a sprinkling of powder snow, though it's always possible to turn around. It's a ridge line, with good views of snow-covered central and western fells, though it's likely to be blustery (check the wind).

Another walk at a similar altitude would be from Grasmere village up to Helm Crag, then along the ridge to Calf Crag and down Easedale. Again, you can judge the conditions when you're there, but I doubt there'll be significant enough ice to require crampons.

From Patterdale, you could follow the Cumbrian Way along Grisedale to Grasmere - again, it's mostly low-level and should be doable without crampons. Another good low -evel walk from Patterdale is to Pooley Bridge along the eastern shore of Ullswater, which is really surprisingly worthwhile. Add in Place Fell and/or some of those other lower lying hills if you want a summit.

Finally, two other low-level options if the weather is appalling: Coniston Village > Tarn Hows > Tilberthwaite, take in Hodge Close and Cathedral Quarries > Little Langdale > Elterwater. OR walk from Arnside to Silverdale. Both options can be varied and can take in various pubs.

All are possible on public transport and the usual caveats apply, e.g. see what the conditions are like when you arrive and don't forget to factor in the direction and speed of the wind, especially on the ridges.

Post edited at 17:07
OP raussmf 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

6-10 miles or 5-7 hours depending on the route really. 

OP raussmf 02 Mar 2020
In reply to C Witter:

Perfect! Exactly what I was after, thank you. 

Lankyman 02 Mar 2020
In reply to C Witter:

>  Another good low -evel walk from Patterdale is to Pooley Bridge along the eastern shore of Ullswater, which is really surprisingly worthwhile. Add in Place Fell and/or some of those other lower lying hills if you want a summit.

I'd be wary of Place Fell if there's a chance of snow/ice? It's quite high (2,100 feet or so) and with some steep slopes where at least an axe would be good if you're heading north. I was once up there in a gale and could hardly get to the trig as I kept getting blown across the glazed pools and summit rocks. Also, the walk from Howtown does involve a lot of road unless you veer away from the lake. After the paths earlier it's not that inspiring, plus you'd need to get back to Glenridding. When I was a walks guide I learned early on to use the lake steamer first, that way if they cancelled sailings (common when the wind blows!) it wouldn't be a problem.

> All are possible on public transport and the usual caveats apply, e.g. see what the conditions are like when you arrive and don't forget to factor in the direction and speed of the wind, especially on the ridges.

Yes, and don't rely on them at the end of the day (see above) and less stress having to reach a last bus/boat after a battering walk over the hill!

C Witter 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I shouldn't think Place Fell will be icy, given that the snow seems (albeit, from Lancaster!) to be retreating up the fells. But, who knows!

The steamer is nice, but very expensive. If in a car, I'd probably leave the car at Pooley Bridge and catch a 15 min bus ride to Patterdale. But, I'm usually on public transport. You're right that the bus service is crap in the winter - the last bus is ridiculously early. As for the walk from Howtown to Pooley Bridge, it doesn't involve much road so long as you don't go down to the road too early - maybe 15 mins on the road. I saw a red squirrel on that section of road, so it does have its compensations, too!

Post edited at 18:44
OP raussmf 03 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

Out of interest what is the minimum footwear / axe I could safely go out with? I.e. cheapest?

Are microspikes and a decathlon walking axe a waste of time and potentially dangerous? Am I looking at a pair of B1 boots realistically?

Warm clothing and navigation should not be an issue. Apologies for sounding naïve in any way.

Ta

OP raussmf 03 Mar 2020
In reply to C Witter:

good to know thanks

OP raussmf 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

100%

Lankyman 03 Mar 2020
In reply to raussmf:

> Out of interest what is the minimum footwear / axe I could safely go out with? I.e. cheapest?

Sorry, not sure about that. I've had my axe for nearly 40 years. It's a longer walking type axe which doesn't quite reach the ground when I have my arm down. Not technical but it got me up Tower Ridge.

> Are microspikes and a decathlon walking axe a waste of time and potentially dangerous? Am I looking at a pair of B1 boots realistically?

Most times in snow I don't wear crampons but do carry them if I thought ice would be a problem on some paths. My usual boots are just Scarpa walking boots which are OK for non-serious winter stuff.

> Warm clothing and navigation should not be an issue. Apologies for sounding naïve in any way.

> Ta

Not a problem. You'll work it out for yourself just be careful not to do anything too daft (great advice which I've often ignored). My greatest moment was hacking up a gully on Fairfield with a stone for an axe in bendy boots and no crampons when I was 14 ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...