Best GPS Software

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello folks. 

Im in the market for new GPS walking software for my Android phone, prerably free but happy to pay for top notch reliable software. I dont mind paying for maps if they are reasonably priced too. They dont have to be OS if they are as detailed as the 1:25000.  Good if l can plot routes too and 3D rendering would be great.

What's everyone using?

Richard

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I use OruxMaps. I like the interface, and it provides all the functions I need.

It used to be able to use and download OS mapping from Bing, but the OS put the frighteners on him (and possibly got Bing to change their API).

But it will use a wide variety of open source mapping, including the OpenStreetMap derivatives. I used OpenTopoMap for my TMB trip last year.

Fortunately, I have an alternative source of OS mapping that Orux will use, with the help of Mobac to cut tiles sets. I have a 32GB card in the phone, so, if I wanted, I could have the entire GB in there.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I should add that l have all the Memory Map maps if anything could use those.

Webster 30 Jun 2018

map, compass and a brain

Tringa 30 Jun 2018

If you are confident in using a map and compass and, without wanting to sound sanctimonious, if you are going into the hills, you should be, then have a look at -

Viewranger.

It is free. The maps are not as good as OS or Harvey's maps but you can record routes easily, and

OS Locate.

It is also free. You can't record any routes with it, but it will tell you your 6 figure grid reference, which can be handy or even potentially life saving.

Dave

> l have all the Memory Map maps

I think there is, but I can't remember what it is at the moment...

[edit] well, it might be the memory-map app...

[edit2] Looks like the paid AlpineQuest will support .qct files:

http://www.alpinequest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2116

[/edit]

Been browsing the Play store, and see that BackCountry Maps will source OS mapping from Bing. There's a free, advert-suppirted version, or it's on offer at the moment. I haven't used it, though I did play with it, and many others, when I first got my Hudl.

Locus is pretty good, too.

Most have free versions you can try; download and have a play.

Post edited at 20:22
 rockcatch 01 Jul 2018
In reply to Tringa:

Another vote for ViewRanger. I’ve been using it for a couple of years and it’s ideal for the mountains. Full OS mapping of the country is available and it is possible to just buy the maps you need. The interface works very well switching between map scales as you zoom in and out. 

Thanks everyone. I shoukd add that I take a compass and map but its a bit of a faf sometimes, especially when windy. Nothing wrong with embracing the tech.

Checked out the apps and have gone for Viewranger. The Skyline feature alone is worth having the app. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks again.

Looks like Google don't like the idea of free software. So the free version of OruxMaps isn't available on the play store. The donate version is only £2.69...

But the free version can be downloaded from the developer's website:

http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...