NEW ROUTE CARD: Ben Lui, Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mega cornice on the summit ridge of Ben Lui, 2 kbOften lauded as one of Scotland's most beautiful mountains, Ben Lui cuts a striking figure, rising high over its immediate neighbours. Its best side is to the east, where the graceful twin peaks and the symmetrical scoop of Coire Gaothach are seen to full effect. It's a long walk-in down the Cononish glen, but with Ben Lui looming ever larger ahead the anticipation mounts all the way. In winter conditions Coire Gaothach and its sharp ridges look almost Alpine, and the various ascent routes on this flank of the hill all need a degree of mountaineering competence. I've covered the least demanding option here - it's good for summer too. Ben Lui alone makes a great round, but it's better still combined with the adjoining Munros Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, nice peaks in their own right. For the very keen there’s a fourth Munro too, Beinn a’Chleibh, though that means an untidy detour or a logistically tricky linear route.

13.60 miles, 21.88 km, 1,585m ascent, 8 hours. Oban

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=922
 Simon Caldwell 04 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Done this a couple of times and it's a great route, especially in winter when you can start via Central Gully.
I disagree that Beinn a' Chleibh is an 'untidy' detour though - you just return to the col to the SW of Ben Lui and traverse SE to the next col
 Doug 04 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Also a worthwhile day out on skis when the snow conditions are suitable
In reply to Doug:

Bet that'd be brilliant - too steep for me (but then most hills are)
 tony 04 Mar 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...