/ NEW ROUTE CARD: Beinn Sgulaird

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Beinn Trilleachan and the Black Mount from the summit of Beinn SgulairdA rough and rocky hill in a quiet backwater above the head of Loch Creran, Beinn Sgulaird makes an excellent shorter Munro day - but with a start at sea level it's still one with plenty of ascent. Standing apart from the neighbouring Etive and Glen Coe peaks, Sgulaird is a bit of a loner, and hard to incorporate into a manageable or logical larger round. Most walkers will be content with the standard linear up-and-back route, and this is one of those rare Munros on which that is probably the most enjoyable way to do it.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1263

dmhigg 16 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Remember to include the Corbett: this is one of those hills when it is definitely worth planning ahead to what you'll do when you finish your Munros.

In reply to dmhigg:

Future proofing... could be wise. I didn't think it looked interesting enough to repay all the backtracking, but maybe that was unfair? Like a lot of folk on the hills I'm not collecting Munros, let alone Corbetts, but if we did ever start then I guess we may come to regret never having done it when it would've been easy. Then again, would a return trip be a bad thing?     

Simon Caldwell 18 Nov 2019

> Then again, would a return trip be a bad thing?  

Well said!

Robert Durran 18 Nov 2019

> Future proofing... could be wise. I didn't think it looked interesting enough to repay all the backtracking, but maybe that was unfair? 

Less backtracking than just returning the same way as you recommend! I combined Sgulaird with the Corbett a few weeks ago - it was straightforward to cut across and down to the bealach between them from a low point on Sgulaird's ridge. Having beeem out to the Corbett, I cut backtracked part way and then cut down to the track down from the bealach which gave a pleasant way off,

icehockeyhair 18 Nov 2019
In reply to dmhigg:

Or you could choose an epic day out up the north face of the hill via a short grade I-ish gully in dodgy avalanche conditions with 9 unroped people, 4 who had never used an ice axe till that day! Memorable day out especially after driving up from Glasgow that morning with a Tenant's lager induced hangover following a Four Tet gig in the Barras the night before.

Means I have to go back and do the Corbett another time though....

In reply to icehockeyhair:

Why make life easy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.