Beinn an Eoin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 03 Sep 2018

Mulling over September walk possibilities.

Anyone got experience of ascent or descent down the southern ridge from summit to Gorm-loch na Beinne? 

Too craggy / steep? Or it there a reasonable line of scrambling?

Mike-W-99 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Might be of use, I’ve ascended slightly round to the west(up from the bothy). Craggier than the map suggests.

Mark Bull 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I been both up and down that way. In descent there are initially a few short rock bands that require a little easy scrambling - the easiest line isn't always that obvious from above. If I recall correctly, it's easiest to start the descent a bit on the east side. Lower down you can pick a line that's just steep grass and a few boulders. 

rif 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I suspect routefinding is a lot easier in ascent than descent. In descent, I found it straightforward till about halfway down, albeit with some short rocky bands. After that I headed down the W side (since that's where you want to be whether heading for Baosbheinn or walking back north on the track) but found it involved much traversing to and fro on steep wet ground. So it's probably better to continue S to the foot of the ridge. Alternatively, I've read of people going back N from the summit to the first small col on the ridge to find an easier descent on the W face.

In reply to Flinticus:

I've done it in ascent on a round of the three corbetts, Baosbheinnn, Beinn Dearg and Beinn an Eoin (a looong day, or it would make a great weekend with a tent). It's very steep and there's a little light scrambling near the top, so as rif says it's probably easier in ascent. From underneath you just go straight up - the route finding isn't fiddly but it might feel a bit more involved if you're going down it

OP Flinticus 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Never even thought of Beinn Dearg!

How long to walk all three?

I would do this with a camp but equally I am in no mind to rush. Prefer to savour these hills.

In reply to Flinticus:

I made it about 12 hours for the three, steady walking but no running - it's about a 30km round trip with 2000m ascent, lots of rough ground, some bogs, some scrambling, plenty of pathless sections... 

It's a brilliant spring/summer day out if you like a real leg stretch, but equally now the light is on the wane it'd be a memorable mini backpacking round too, with an opportunity to camp in some very wild country

OP Flinticus 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks all for the advice etc.

Lets see what the weather holds.

dmhigg 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I did about 6 1/2 hours, mostly running! The Northish ridge of Beinn Dearg was hard work, but I don't remember the S. ridge of Eoin being particularly troublesome. I think I had a Golden eagle sighting on the S. ridge: it was certainly a biiig bird. It was nice running rather than walking on the long boggy descent to loch Garbhain, but it is a fantastic trip. Following the deer tracks round Loch a Bhealaich seems very remote.

Mark Bull 05 Sep 2018
In reply to dmhigg:

> I think I had a Golden eagle sighting on the S. ridge: it was certainly a biiig bird.

More than likely: there is a well-used perch on a conspicuously green lump just to the north of the summit. Saw an eagle taking off from it the last time I was up there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...