Atlantic Ridge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 30 Apr 2021

In the Ogwen valley. It's grade 3. Is it a walk or a trouser filler. How does the gradient compare to Idwal Slabs?

In reply to Pete Pozman:

> In the Ogwen valley. It's grade 3. Is it a walk or a trouser filler. How does the gradient compare to Idwal Slabs?

Checked my logbook and only done Left Edge. 

That was excellent 

Post edited at 13:35
 Offwidth 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

Maybe easy to you. That slab is very bold, huge so very exposed, and belays are tricky. It's not a scramble in any respect. I've not done the ridge so can't comment. Left Edge to the right is a fabulous climb one of my favourites at it's grade in the UK.

In reply to Offwidth:

> Maybe easy to you. That slab is very bold, huge so very exposed, and belays are tricky. It's not a scramble in any respect. I've not done the ridge so can't comment. Left Edge to the right is a fabulous climb one of my favourites at it's grade in the UK.

You've made me think and look at my logbook and I'm meaning "left edge"  You are correct.

Forget the comments on the slab, although it looked good. 

C Witter 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Not done it, but looks cracking! Looks great for moving together with 10m or so of rope and some gear between you.

OP Pete Pozman 30 Apr 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Thinking of soloing it and walking up to Y Garn. Does everything come to hand or do you have to think? 

CantClimbTom 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Hmmm... Unless you bottle it and go up an easy gully instead it will feel committing despite being a little shallower angle than Idwal slabs (as far as I remember). That area is remote and and often desserted. But that's a reason that attracts people. Could be a lovely scramble could be very unnerving unless you are really comfortable soloing slabs. Don't bite off more than you can chew. If you're rock solid confident and competent... Go for it

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Sound advice. Can you escape if it gets too gnarly? Whilst doing Brim Fell slabs I always felt I could traverse off if I'd wanted to. 

C Witter 30 Apr 2021
 leon 1 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman: Dont know if this is of any help ?

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/index.php?i=1233

In reply to Pete Pozman:

Regret not doing Atlantic slab as I heard its an ancient up tilted seabed and you'd be using the fossilised sand ripples as holds. Contemplate deep time if you're not concentrating on survival......

Jasonic 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

We used a rope & think that once committed easiest to continue to top- lovely route.

angry pirate 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

We did it last summer in approach shoes and a minimal rack and 30 metre rope.

I'm neither brave nor particularly good at climbing but we romped it, moving as a roped pair, and had a thoroughly lovely day out!

In reply to Pete Pozman:

Many thanks everyone. Super tips. 

Matt Podd 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

It's the ridge that runs along the top of Atlantic slabs and is a fair scramble - depends on your experience and confidence. Routes on the slabs are like Idwal - only longer and with less gear, but the edge is great. Best slab climbs are on the red slab lower down and are superb if your feeling bold. Had a great day on there with my mate Len and did loads of routes - up and down. a proper alpine day out all solo.

J101 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Done it a few times, I don't climb, only scramble solo and I've found it easy enough, no nervy moments.

Always found it a very enjoyable outing, well worth the effort of the initial walk to the start. I usually come back via Y Garn bit with a detour to Elidir Fawr thrown in.

There had been a huge mudslide onto the road at the start last time I did it (last August), totally wiped out the usual path so that made getting to the scramble quite interesting!

Post edited at 20:33
 Red Rover 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I found left edge to have plenty of gear on it if you look for it, apart from a bit of a runout on the crux but that can be avoided by going right to some cracks. I don't know why it has a reputation for being so bold. Maybe if it's somebody's first route after learning on the Idwal Slabs or Little Tryfan it will feel bold, as you can't lace Left Edge up like a route on a training crag, but there is plenty there. Just my opinion though.

Post edited at 22:57
 Offwidth 01 May 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

Who said Left Edge is bold? Fairly well protected in my view.

Red Rover 01 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

I think I read it in a guidebook somewhere and on a couple of threads on here.

Post edited at 08:39
 CantClimbTom 01 May 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

There's a lot of slabs and routes up there, on some you can escape to the side and find a grassy scramble route up, but on the more sparsely protected routes especially in the middle of slabs you are committed for big chunks of the route. It's a lovely wild setting so don't be put off, just cautious to eyeball the options before you start. Enjoy!!

CantClimbTom 01 May 2021
In reply to J101:

>... ... ... There had been a huge mudslide onto the road at the start last time I did it (last August)... ...

Bloomin Eck!! I was there towards end August last year, let's say it was a bit wet and windy!! A5 closed landslide, lots of poor folk flooded out in various places. In the midst of all that a rock threw up by someone in other direction and smashed my windscreen, had a total epic trip and it wasn't even the climbing. 

Edit: had taken my son to give him his first real taste of some outdoors adventure. We went for snakes and ladders, there was a LOT of water pouring in to Australia. The tunnel at top of snake was full of water, well just about everything was full of water! I think I put him off a bit perhaps as a first introduction it was more flavour than he was after. Maybe when he's another year older I'll try again, apart from the broken windscreen, I loved it

Post edited at 14:25
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Pottered up Hawkwind which is adjacent to this. Funky geology and a thoroughly enjoyable morning

alan moore 01 May 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I remember it looked very intimidating but was very easy and friendly once youv'e started. It looked very uniform all the way up so at Half way up we cast adrift onto the Atlantic Slab on the left, which though very low angled, felt more like a rock climb. 

Street 06 May 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I did it last summer while trying to avoid the crowds and had the whole area to myself!

I found it pretty straightforward and it was a nice romp to the top with no tricky sections and some good exposure down the slab. I didn't find the moves as hard as some other grade 3 scrambles but the position was fairly serious.

1philjones1 06 May 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Just done it today, started out sunny with the rock a bit greasy then a snowstorm blew in when we were half way up. 

Never felt hard and I would say it’s a solid grade 2, but with the potential to be a bit harder if you want it to or you get slightly off line. As has been said, the positions are great but potentially quite serious. I would be happy soloing it in dry conditions, but not today- glad we took a 30m rope and a small rack (4 nuts, 2 cams, 3 qd’s and a few slings), moved together all the way.

Post edited at 16:57
 mcdougal 06 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> That area is remote and and often desserted.

Only in the week, it'll be rammed on a Sundae. 

CantClimbTom 11 May 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Reading this thread has made me realise it's been too long since I've been there. Really itching to go for a scramble up Atlantic ridge myself!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...