Arran hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Myles 15 Mar 2018

My partner and I have a week on Arran starting the last weekend of April. It's her first visit to Scotland, andwe're planning on getting into the hills as much as possible. Not bringing climbing gear, so we'll be sticking to walks.

It's been 14 years since I actually stayed on Arran, but I've gotten over from Kintyre for some day walks on the ridges around Glen Sannox and up and down Glen Rosa. I'm planning on showing her places I've been, but I'm hoping for other suggestions for walking on Arran beyond the Glen Sannox/Glen Rosa "H." She's a keen walker in very good shape, but something like parts of A Chir might be a bit much for her.

Anyone have any favorite Arran walks to suggest? Thank you.

buzby 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

I recently did Beinn Bharrain from Pirnmill, its only a graham but its a cracking day out, also gives a nice view over to the goatfell range and starts and finishes at the lighthouse café which does some very nice food.

The walk is described on the walkhighlands website.

Chris Harris 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

Start at Thundergay & up to Coire-Fhionn Lochan is a nice stroll. You could head South & do Beinn Bhreac at the same time. 

Removed User 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

How about the round of Glen Sannox? I don't recall the Witches Step to be anything to worry about.

russellcampbell 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> How about the round of Glen Sannox? I don't recall the Witches Step to be anything to worry about.

If you are a competent scrambler and have a head for heights.

OP Myles 15 Mar 2018

A few years ago, I walked North Glen Sannox to Casteal Abhaill and back down to the NGS car park. Wouldn't want to take Gena unroped on the Step, but it looks easily bypassable, and it was a very nice walk with great views.

Lucy Wallace 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

I wouldn't say it is easily bypassable, unless you mean to descend straight down the north side and miss the rest of the ridge, but with some route finding cunning, yes it is bypassable. 

OP Myles 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Snoweider:

I was heading away from Casteal Abhail, and from the step I thought I saw a path that got onto the slope and then went back up to the ridge. Maybe my memory is dodgy ... 

Lucy Wallace 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

If you mean the one that I'm thinking of, there is some route finding and a bit of scrambling on suspect rock to get on to it.  

Mark Bull 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

Getting the boat to Holy Island and doing the walk over Mullach Mor and back along the coast is worthwhile for a short day or if the higher tops are clogged in. 

Removed User 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Mark Bull:

And there's sometimes the option of tea and carrot cake with the Buddhist monks.

Chris Harris 16 Mar 2018

> How about the round of Glen Sannox? I don't recall the Witches Step to be anything to worry about.

Since the OP stated:

"I'm planning on showing her places I've been, but I'm hoping for other suggestions for walking on Arran beyond the Glen Sannox/Glen Rosa "H."

I would suggest your idea doesn't quite meet the acceptance criteria of their request.....

oldie 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

I had 3 days on Arran after a conference a few years back and found coastal walking good, especially Sannox to Lochranza via Cock of Arran. There were buses going round the coastline which were very useful. Also did Witches Step to A'chir but as others have said this is probably too serious.

"Arran Coastal Way offers walkers a challenging and rewarding 65-mile / 105 kilometre circular route around the beautiful Isle of Arran. Packed with amazing wildlife and fabulous scenery.... The route can also be enjoyed as smaller sections and there are plenty of side trips and other attractions to visit as part of your trip to Arran."

PS Also hitching was very easy. There was also a good walk up to a nice Loch on the NW side of the mountains...name escapes me.

Post edited at 10:29
 streapadair 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

The glen running south from Lochranza leads to Lochan na Davie (a curiosity in itself as streams issue from both ends and it's not obvious what feeds it) and the gentle slopes on the left lead eventually to Caisteal Abhail with its glorious view.

This was the very first real hill walk I ever did (and I was well and truly hooked by it), and I remember carrying on along to Suidhe Fhearghas, so the Step couldn't have been very problematic. I dropped down to North Glen Sannox and walked back along the road, but you could use the bus service or your thumb (or maybe your partner's thumb while you keep out of sight?).

digby 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

It's a lovely island and there's lots of easier walks.

For something hilly, the Pirnmill Hills. You don't need to go up the scrambling ridge, the right hand ridge is very easy and the path obvious https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/pirnmill-hills.shtml

I like the King's Cave circuit https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/kings-cave.shtml
And by Tormore just up the road there is a walk in to remarkable and rather wonderful standing stones.

From Whiting Bay there's a great walk through woods to a waterfall. You can return on the other side of the valley and visit a neolithic fort. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/glenashdale-falls.shtml

Nice walks in the Clauchland Hills between Brodick and Lamlash.

The gardens of Brodick Castle are beautiful, particularly if the rhododendrons are flowering. Go after 5 and you don't need to pay! The walkhighlands site has a section dedicated to Arran.

Post edited at 11:09
 Chris Harris 16 Mar 2018
In reply to streapadair:

> The glen running south from Lochranza leads to Lochan na Davie (a curiosity in itself as streams issue from both ends and it's not obvious what feeds it).

Constant pissing rain is what feeds it. At least in my experience....   

OP Myles 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Myles:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions/comments.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...