Arran advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 04 Mar 2019

Looking fro some advice on Arran.

Plan to walk up Glen Sannox, up to the Saddle and then along ridge to Goatfell and down to either Corrie or even Brodick - whats the ridge between Saddle and Goatfell like at that point as will be taking 11 and 9 year old with me.

Ive previously been up Cioch na h Oighe and along the ridge there to Goatfell just wondered about the alternative?

Also, whats the terrain like from Saddle to top of Cir Mhor - worth a trip out and back as well or too exposed?

Captain Solo 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

Seem to remember it being pretty straightforward between saddle and goatfell. The odd bit of eroded rocky trench but easier to ascend than descend (as I did). A couple of tors to bypass when you're up high but they should be familiar to you.

From saddle to cir Mhor is just a steep path really, no real exposure as it goes up through a grassy gap away from SW and NE faces.

Colin Moody 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

> Also, whats the terrain like from Saddle to top of Cir Mhor 

Easier than Glen Sannox to the Saddle.

J101 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

You'll be fine if it's dry, bit harder if not but nothing serious. The route up to Cir Mhor from the saddle is steep but not exposed until you reach the summit (which is very small with a serious drop over the N edge, be careful if it's cloudy!)

Post edited at 20:13
 Flinticus 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

The Saddle to Goatfell. All I remember as 'tricky' is some eroded rock surface which was like sandy gravel. A bit of care stepping. Could increase chance of a slip. On ascent to North Goatfell from The Saddle.

In reply to Pids: I second C Moody’s comment. Saddle from Sannox is a bit of a grotfest.

DNS 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

Don't do as I did and stop for a brew on top of Goatfell in thick mist and set off down in 180 degrees the wrong direction. Other than that it's a good walk. Saddle to Goatfell fine - and I'm softer than most 9 year-olds.

Darron 04 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

> Looking fro some advice on Arran.

He’s defo a remainer.

OP Pids 05 Mar 2019
In reply to All:

Cheers all, staying in Sannox hence the thought of walking in form Sannox up to the saddle then along to Goatfell - and sounds like a trip up and down Cir Mhor as well then.

fmck 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

The footpath in Glen San nox is no longer the "grotfest" it used to be. It has been worked on and is so good I have run through the Glens in winter months with trainers on and had dry feet. The most technical section is gaining the saddle from San nox.  There is a rock gully to Scramble up followed by steep ground to reach the saddle. You can Google some pictures to get an idea.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...