Anyone with knowledge of Kintail in the autumn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 welshdinosaur 15 Oct 2021

I'm hoping for a few more walks before winter sets in but need to book the time off work so I plan to drive up there around the 17th of November and it is going to be down to luck what the weather is like. I've never been to Kintail. What sort of terrain should I expect? Boggy? What is it like when it is raining? All that long grass looks like a slip risk in the rain on steep slopes? Or is there a definied path? It's hard to judge from looking at photos.

Is it a busy walk or pretty quiet? I see it doesn't rank high on the most visited list for casual munro walkers.

What is the area like for taking a dog (doesn't chase sheep)? Is on lead essential or can they go off lead?

I've been led to believe the 5 sisters is a harder walk so I'm probably going to go for Beinn Fhada and it's neighbour A Glash Beinn first and see how tired I am the next day. I can see there is a river crossing here, I'm wondering if that is ever impassable? I'm looking at november which is typically a rainy time.

Does this part of the north west hold off the snow a bit longer because I'm not sure whether this changes from a moderate to very challenging walk in the snow as some do. Does it get very icy? I've used crampons etc but typically try to avoid full on winter walking and would probably call it off if there was more than a dusting of snow on the summit.

Is there anyway to get to the bottom of glomach falls or is it only the top that is accessible?

Thanks!

Lankyman 15 Oct 2021
In reply to welshdinosaur:

> I'm hoping for a few more walks before winter sets in but need to book the time off work so I plan to drive up there around the 17th of November and it is going to be down to luck what the weather is like. I've never been to Kintail. What sort of terrain should I expect? Boggy? What is it like when it is raining? All that long grass looks like a slip risk in the rain on steep slopes? Or is there a definied path? It's hard to judge from looking at photos.

> Is it a busy walk or pretty quiet? I see it doesn't rank high on the most visited list for casual munro walkers.

> What is the area like for taking a dog (doesn't chase sheep)? Is on lead essential or can they go off lead?

> I've been led to believe the 5 sisters is a harder walk so I'm probably going to go for Beinn Fhada and it's neighbour A Glash Beinn first and see how tired I am the next day. I can see there is a river crossing here, I'm wondering if that is ever impassable? I'm looking at november which is typically a rainy time.

>   Does this part of the north west hold off the snow a bit longer because I'm not sure whether this changes from a moderate to very challenging walk in the snow as some do. Does it get very icy? I've used crampons etc but typically try to avoid full on winter walking and would probably call it off if there was more than a dusting of snow on the summit.

> Is there anyway to get to the bottom of glomach falls or is it only the top that is accessible?

> Thanks!

Yes and no.

Harry Jarvis 15 Oct 2021

> I'm hoping for a few more walks before winter sets in but need to book the time off work so I plan to drive up there around the 17th of November and it is going to be down to luck what the weather is like. I've never been to Kintail. What sort of terrain should I expect? Boggy? What is it like when it is raining? All that long grass looks like a slip risk in the rain on steep slopes? Or is there a definied path? It's hard to judge from looking at photos.

Boggy in places, even at the best of times. Which path are you talking about? 

> Is there anyway to get to the bottom of glomach falls or is it only the top that is accessible?

No, and even the top is quite alarming, especially in the wet. It's barely possible to see the falls from the top. 

kinley2 16 Oct 2021

Kintail is a decent sized area with a number of Munros, Corbetts and Grahams. There are a few very popular Munro walks and a number of less popular routes/approaches and hills. Rainfall can be colossal and spate conditions there are a sight/sound to behold. There can be wintry/winter conditions in November.

You might want to Google Scottish Hillwalking sites, there's one in particular where if you post this someone will answer all your points, give you advice sight unseen and probably collate all the relevant walk guides for you. Otherwise there are lots of walk guides and trip reports to browse through to give you an idea about the area, and walks in particular. Enjoy.

streapadair 16 Oct 2021

To be fair, November *can* be magical but you have to be very lucky. The attached pic was taken in November, from Ciste Dhubh looking towards Sgurr a'Bhealach Dheirg and the Sisters. The previous day was pouring wet.

fmck 16 Oct 2021

November in Kintail. A wee walk down by the loch with Gus (border terrier). Before back to the Kintail lodge for breakfast. The colours, the stillness of the loch reflecting all the colours. A moment in life never to be forgotten.

Na its sh#te. Dont go.

Joak 16 Oct 2021

On the 20th November 2004 me and my mate went up the Saddle via the Forcan Ridge in full winter conditions. Snow was lying down to sea level that morning. We were staying in the Wee Bunkhouse at the Kintail Lodge, so just happened to be in the right place at the right time. If snowy ridges weren't our thing we would have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The 20th November 2021 could be mild and wet, cold and snowy, or anything in between.   

Welsh Kate 16 Oct 2021

Hope you're not one of the dinosaurs escaped from the Dan yr Ogof showcaves?!!

The river you're talking about, that you have to cross to do Beinn Fhada and A Ghlas Bheinn could be tricky after heavy rain, but that kind of sums up most river crossings in Scotland. I did A Ghlas Bheinn by itself so couldn't tell you what it's like dropping from Beinn Fhada down to the bealach which is one of the standard routes for folk doing both in one day. But the climb from the bealach to A Ghlas Bheinn's pretty straightforward and not long grassy.

If you're round that way and after an easy day, a visit to Sandaig (Gavin Maxwell's cottage) makes for a lovely bimble and Glenelg's got a nice pub.

fmck 17 Oct 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

1. In winter I found the drop down to the bealach quite tricky. At one point I had no way down but jump down onto a snow drift. Turns out it was a thin covering of snow over rock. I thought I was going to die in that spot but eventually got going. Went home lying on my side in the back of the van. Too painful to sit.
 Lankyman 17 Oct 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate

> If you're round that way and after an easy day, a visit to Sandaig (Gavin Maxwell's cottage) makes for a lovely bimble and Glenelg's got a nice pub.

If down at the cottage definitely make the small excursion out to the little islands just off the shore (tide allowing). If you ever read Ring of Bright Water it's very evocative. There are lots of low level walks in the Jarrod guide 'Kyle of Lochalsh' (the distinctive green ones with OS maps). Did a few when staying in a cottage on Loch Duich one autumn when the weather was typically west coast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...