Anyone have a Classic Walks tohand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 24 Aug 2019

I find myself in Carlisle, with a few days to kill. Thought about knocking one of Ken Wilson’s Classic Walks while I’m here.

I know there’s one around Merrick in Galloway, and one on Hadrians Wall. I don’t have the book with me and Google is not telling, so I’d be grateful if anyone could furnish me with a brief description of either of the above. (I have done the Helvellyn and Blencathra ones, and don’t fancy Lakes walks on a Bank Holiday Monday.)

Many thanks

Fred

stevieb 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Fredt:

I’ve got the challenging walks book which I think contains the classic walks. 

The hadrians wall walk is 19 miles one way walk from sewing  shields to lanercost priory. It includes a river crossing which should be fine in this weather, and the walk can be cut short if needed. But I’ve no idea if the buses still run as required 

stevieb 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Fredt:

The merrick walk is 24 miles loop from parking by loch trool. Starts over benyellary and merrick then comes back via corserine and rhinn of kells and round the backnof loch dee. A shorter loop would come back along the ridge from dungeon hill. 

OP Fredt 24 Aug 2019

Many thanks both, though I’m sure the walks I have in mind are in Classic Walks, not Challenging Walks.

I’ll take a look at the maps for those two, and see where they go. Ta.

flour 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Fredt

Yes, Classic walks is:

Start and finish Glen Trool car park, 7 hrs 14 miles. Craignaw, Dungeon Hill, Mullwharcher, Merrick, Benyellary, Bennan, Fell of Eschoncan, Loch Trool. Or can be shortened by leaving out Merrick and returning from Loch Enoch to Glen Trool via the Buchan Burn.

Hadrians Wall as described by Stevieb

OP Fredt 24 Aug 2019
In reply to all:

Fantastic, many thanks all, these fora are a great resource.

machine 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Fredt:

The off licence and back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...