Any recommendations for overnight trips in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SNobbs 15 Jul 2019

Morning all,

I'm a regular hillwalker, currently trying to add quality mountain days for my summer ML. I'd like to head over to Snowdonia to get a few overnight two day hikes in. However I haven't an idea at all of where to go. Whilst this site has plenty of fantastic route cards, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some top notch routes, but also ones of sufficient length to count as a quality mountain day. 

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

In reply to SNobbs:

A traverse of the rhinogs.

WaterMonkey 15 Jul 2019
In reply to SNobbs:

The Welsh 3000's, maybe an overnighter by Devil's kitchen area or down by the A5 somewhere.

https://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/

Post edited at 12:39
 Welsh Kate 15 Jul 2019
In reply to SNobbs:

Hi, my feeling is that if you're collecting QMDs for you ML, the best thing would be to devise your own routes rather than follow someone else's. Certainly get ideas for areas - and Rhinogs as pancakeandchips suggested are a great suggestion (so are the Moelwyns and the Carneddau) - but then look at the map and use your imagination!

Where's the Path is a useful website for devising routes cos you can have split screen map and satellite imagery, or use a paper map and Google Earth to have a look at what's there.

On my ML assessment one of our evening tasks was to devise two routes for a group (mine was a bunch of apprentices), and I was given a map at random, a 1:50 of part of Scotland that I hadn't walked in and didn't know. I devised a day walk and an overnighter, with bad weather and variable fitness alternatives. A fun exercise, but one I was confident doing because I've always worked out my own routes.

Good luck with the ML!

pasbury 15 Jul 2019
In reply to SNobbs:

If you want to get off the beaten track try the area bounded by the Arenigs, Rhobell Fawr and Dduallt!

OP SNobbs 16 Jul 2019

Hi all - they're all really good tips thank you!! Definitely giving me some great starting points to formulate a few trips.

@Welsh Kate, completely agree with your point regarding planning QMDs for ML. I thought it might be a good idea to get some rough ideas first, but am now excited to get planning

ScottTalbot 16 Jul 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

This, but don't use the suggested point to point route. Park in the ogwen valley and do it in looped sections. That way, you don't have to carry quite as much, as you can re-supply at the car.. 

annieman 16 Jul 2019
In reply to SNobbs:

Ogwen horseshoe.

Sean Kelly 16 Jul 2019
In reply to SNobbs:

Overnight camp in Cwm Glas, magic!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...