An adventure in the hills - 1930s style

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 09 Nov 2018

I stumbled across this earlier while looking for inspiration for a winter bothy/climbing trip.

https://www.electricscotland.com/travel/tours/tour25.htm

Simply wonderful reading.

Dave the Rave 09 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Good stuff thanks for that! I’ve only read a bit but it will go with a cup of tea on Sunday evening. 

girlymonkey 10 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I got engrossed and forgot I was meant to be getting ready for work! Nearly late! Oops. Thanks for sharing 

rubble 10 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

thoroughly enjoyed that, thank you!

Removed User 10 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks for posting that. Highly enjoyable.

mountainbagger 10 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Brilliant, thanks for posting!

A lot more washing and shaving than I would do

Welsh Kate 10 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

An engrossing report. I'm currently re-reading the Richard Hannay novels and have noticed more keenly Buchan's interest in the landscape, flora and fauna that Hannay encounters as he travels through Scotland, and this trip report does the same. I also empathised with the concerns about whether bothies would be accessible or in a habitable condition when they got there!

Post edited at 18:54
In reply to tehmarks:

Lovely writing, thanks for sharing.

streapadair 11 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

A very interesting read, thanks.

Think that's the first photo I've seen of the Lower Einich bothy (it was just after you cross the Beanaidh Bheag) and certainly the first of the Dubh Ghleann howff.

It was almost exactly half a century later (June '82) that I did a 5 day sweep of the Cairngorm Munros myself, but an unimproved Hutchy Hut is all I can claim of historical interest.

DaveHK 11 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Ryvoan is half the size today compared to that photo.

nickh1964 12 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thank you for posting this, what a great read, makes one want to pack a bag and just go...........one day perhaps I will.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...