NEW ROUTE CARD: Am Faochagach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This rounded, grassy Munro may lack instant charisma, and gets a not entirely undeserved reputation for the waterlogged approach, but it's also a fantastic viewpoint. The standard linear route described here is the shortest and most logical way up (and back). A relatively undemanding day, and one that's more rewarding than you might think, it's best saved for a dry spell, or a winter deep freeze when the bogs are firm.

8.57 miles, 13.80 km, 727m ascent, 4:30 – 5:30 hours. Ullapool

Read more

65 31 Oct 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I did this many years back and we descended down towards the All Lair north of Loch Coire Lair. It was unpleasantly steep and if it hadn't been bone dry I think it would have been ill advised. Some great views into Choire Ghranda though, imho one of the finest corries. The walk out was a right flog.

Harry Jarvis 31 Oct 2022

Having read numerous descriptions of the boggy crossing at the head of the loch, I started further east from Black Bridge and cycled as far as Strathvaich Lodge, and then followed a good track onto an easy ridge line, joining your route at Drochaid a' Glas Tuill. This was a bit longer than your route, but nothing too onerous. 

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Thanks Harry, I thought about that for next time. Try to avoid routes that need a bike where possible since not everyone has one (and I'm not a big fan myself) 

Harry Jarvis 31 Oct 2022

It's a very easy bike ride. 

Rob Parsons 31 Oct 2022

That's the wettest day I have ever had in Scotland. On the outward stage, we crossed the burn to the west but, on the return, (since we were completely soaked) we crossed the burn much closer to the loch. I didn't have sticks, and almost got washed away.

In the unlikely event that I ever plan a return trip, I will save it for a deep freeze.

ScraggyGoat 31 Oct 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Having done the bog tromp a few times, I was surprised how much form and interest the E side of the hill has. Went up a bit further North of yourself and came down past Gorm Loch, with a river crossing to make the Land drover track.

My partner did this and then persuaded me to try it (I was of the opinion I was done with AmF’), and I’m glad I did. Completely different experience.

rif 31 Oct 2022

A great winter excursion is to precede Am F by traversing Cona'Mheall to Loch Prille. You pass two other secretive lochs (nan Eilean and a'Choire Ghrannda) and get some fun grade I+ climbing on both ridges of Cona'Mheall.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

I did this in April a few years ago (2015?). It was 2 days after an idyllic mirror-loched, blue sky day climbing on Carnmore crag. The contrast couldn't have been greater, very strong winds, driving snow and hail higher on the hill. I remember getting some moody photos of a turbulent sky over Loch Glascarnoch on the way out. I guess that's Scottish weather for you.

In reply to rif:

Thanks, I really like the Cona'Mheall - Beinn Dearg loop

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1357

...and your suggestion looks like a nice alternative.

Definitely prefer the idea of clockwise in this case since otherwise that initial ascent onto C'M could be a bit dicey as a descent in winter, inevitably in the dark

colinakmc 01 Nov 2022

Few years ago I had a very enjoyable day going up the S ridge of Cona Mheall, down to the outflow of Lochan Prille, then traversing Am Faochagach. As I crossed the summit bump, I was very glad I’d been over Cona Meall first - the standard “tourist” route was good for bumbling down at the end of the day, but must be dull in ascent.

Didn’t get many views, though - rained most of the day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...