Alnwick with a wheelchair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Not quite hillwalking but I've struck out on Google...

Can anyone recommend a walk near alnwick that is both wheelchair and dog off lead friendly. Dog is well behaved but obviously not on a busy road. 

Ideally 2-3 miles

Lankyman 16 Aug 2021
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

You're quite close to the coast there. If you can get to the beach north of Dunstanburgh Castle at Low Newton then it's flat sand for miles (check tides!) going south towards the castle.

graeme jackson 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> You're quite close to the coast there. If you can get to the beach north of Dunstanburgh Castle at Low Newton then it's flat sand for miles (check tides!) going south towards the castle.

Good call. It's also flat grass all the way from craster to dunstanburgh with the benefit of fantastic crab sandwiches at the pub when you get back.

Lankyman 16 Aug 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

Not had the crabs (ooerr!) but did get some nice kippers at the smokehouse in Craster. Yes, I'd forgotten about the grassy walk from the south.

Andy Gamisou 16 Aug 2021

In a similar vein to the others, Druridge Bay offers nice flat golden sands and a visitor centre and what-not.

https://www.visitnorthumberland.com/explore/destinations/wildlife-nature/dr...

Ian W 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Except the Craster - castle bit can be dogs on leash only because of the sheep, depending on which field they are in......but good call re. the beaches. 

An alternative would be going to the little carpark at the south of beadnell bay and head towards beadnell. Same tidal rules apply as for embleton bay, and its approx 80 - 100 yds on soft sand until the wet, harder stuff. Or even the bigger carpark in the middle of the bay which minimises the soft sand bit......

Tom Valentine 16 Aug 2021

Avoid the pavements ( for want of a better word) in the town centre at all costs.

Post edited at 16:17
Andy Gamisou 16 Aug 2021

> Avoid the pavements 

But do try Barter Books - huge second hand book shop - wheel chair and dog friendly iirc.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Thanks we have been there before but will be visiting again this time 

In reply to Tom Valentine:

We went today... slopey and cobbled!

Thanks everyone... We also thought the path next to the river at Warkworth but can't rmeeber if there are steps?

Andy Gamisou 17 Aug 2021

> Thanks everyone... We also thought the path next to the river at Warkworth but can't rmeeber if there are steps?

One of the first places I ever climbed was just up from Warkworth, on (possibly in) the river Coquet.  It was (errm) interesting as I recall.

digby 17 Aug 2021

It's a long time since I've been there so I can't remember details but what about Thrunton Woods?
Should be big forestry roads from the parking https://goo.gl/maps/FL4d24ZTZmuVqJ8v7

Post edited at 07:59
 Ian W 17 Aug 2021

Its a bit of a drive from Alnwick (but a nice one), but there are several trails etc around Keilder.

Andy Gamisou 17 Aug 2021
In reply to digby:

That's pretty decent choice.  When I lived in the area this was a great place to take the dogs and I would think the shorter of the trails would be wheelchair accessible.  Three (maybe four) old climbing haunts within a 5 mile radius, but that's probably not relevant.  I seem to have forgotten just how much climbing there is in the area

Post edited at 11:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...