Advice on descending Tryfan's west face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Y Gribin 27 May 2018

Hello, can anyone give me any advice on locating the best point to start to descending the west side of Tryfan? I'm leading a group on the Welsh 3000s shortly and this seems to be the best way to get down quickly to the eastern edge of Ogwen. On my own, I'd be happy to hunt around but I want to minimise time-wasting with a group! Many thanks.

Stichtplate 27 May 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

If I recall correctly, descending from the summit toward the North ridge, at the first significant notch hang a left and after some very steep and rough terrain you'll hit a path. This path is clearly visible from the A5.

Edit: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTcxMTg5NQ==

Post edited at 16:34
 Trangia 27 May 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Presuming you are starting from the summit? Scramble down the South Ridge with care to the col between Tryfan and Glyder Fach  -  turn West and the easiest way is to follow the well defined path down past Llyn Bochlwyd and on down to Ogwen, then walk back along the road.

From the col there is a less well defined path which follows the slope round towards the eastern end of Llyn Ogwen but it is less defined lower down and you tend make your own way down.

stuartf 27 May 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

The route suggested by Stichtplate is probably the quickest and most appropriate if you're trying to do things fast (i.e. running). However, the gully is steep and awkward at the top, and not particularly pleasant so may not be suitable depending on the skills and size of your group. Trangia's suggestion, although a bit further and slower, is definitely easier.

XXXX 27 May 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

This. Fastest way down is head towards north ridge and go 'left' down the first gulley. It's steep and broken but no more care needed than the South ridge.

mysterion 27 May 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Like others have said, to go down the west side you should go north from the summit for a short while until you see an obvious descent on your left. I think it's called Western Gully, a bit steep and loose to begin with but I have seen guided school parties take that way down so fine for a group. Just keep heading for Ogwen visitor centre.

Post edited at 17:58
OP Y Gribin 27 May 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

That brilliant - many thanks everyone, and especially for the little link. We are pretty confident descending loose/rough ground so we will give that a go. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...