/ Accessing Munros by bike

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Kalna_kaza 12 Jul 2019

Having done 100 plus Munros I'm looking at buying a bike to cut down on the long walk ins. Mainly going to use it on estate and forestry tracks and possibly some easy single track / paths.

Initially I was thinking of a front suspension mountain bike with disk brakes but a friend said to consider a gravel bike. I'm looking to spend £400-£600. What would people recommend?

Siward 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I'd get an old, but serviceable, hardtail mtb from ebay. Less worry about leaving it unattended for a couple of days. Save the cash for bikes you stay with.

Just my 2p of course but that's what I do. 

OwenM 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I got a mountain bike with front suspension from Edinburgh co-op for around £700 for doing just this. Works really well.

Guy Hurst 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza: Some of the Boardman hardtail MTBs from Halfords are pretty good around that price point and would easily cope with what you describe, and a fair bit more. One of those from eBay (they crop up often, in good condition) would be ideal, and leave you a good amount of beer money.

Better than a gravel bike for that job, I'd say. The front suspension can save you a lot of grief on many Scottish hill tracks.

Post edited at 08:10
Rigid Raider 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Yes a gravel bike is a fashionable toy but an ageing mountain bike is really all you need. Front suspension helps when you're on those tracks with rocks the size of cricket balls and disc brakes make a difference in wet muddy conditions. Look around and find a bike recycling scheme, there's one in Wigan that will certainly have something suitable at a bargain price: http://www.thebrick.org.uk/works/gearingup/

Flat pedals for walking boots and a cable lock are all you need. We used mountain bikes on Mount Keen and found them invaluable for the long treck in.

Mike-W-99 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Yup,  nothing fancy required at all. I’ve a grunt suspension mtb that’s getting on a bit that’s just fine. Sometimes I just take my commuting bike with no suspension if I know the path is good.

Post edited at 12:27
Kalna_kaza 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll have a scout for some eBay bargains.

veteye 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I use my old hybrid bike(~27 years old) which has no suspension, narrower Kevlar type tyres, and drop handle bars. The pedals have toe-clips, which I can still use with big boots(straps virtually undone).

I used this bike in May to get to the northern approach to Seanna Bhraigh. (Which I have to say was one of the best days out in the Munros, heading up the eastern ridge of the corrie, and down the western one.)

There may be places where front suspension is of great service, but the above route is mainly on estate gravelly roads, where the old bike is probably faster, due to less friction.

boriselbrus 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Whereabouts are you based? Bike Station in Edinburgh and Perth do recycled bikes that would be suitable. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.