A place and a song

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 09 Apr 2020

I can't be alone in associating some places with a piece of music? Whenever I hear certain songs I'm always taken back in memory to a particular place.

Years ago, my ex and I were walking in Wet Sleddale near Shap and happened across the hall there which, at the time, was boarded up and unoccupied. Past visitors had left copious amounts of graffiti including a carved wooden plaque ('Here, hare, here' no less), all of which were quotes from the film 'Withnail and I'. I'd seen the film before but hadn't realised quite what a cult following it had. Quite a lot of it was shot there and nearby. Since then whenever I hear 'All along the Watchtower' I am taken back in memory to Wet Sleddale! If you don't know why here's a link as our two heroes head out of London for the Lakes 'on holiday by mistake'

youtube.com/watch?v=bQtB_ZfP-Ew&

Tom Valentine 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him?".  Turk's Head , Alston.

I spent a couple of days in the area giving support to my two nephews doing the Pennine Way and that song was definitely someone's favourite on the pub juke box.

Basemetal 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Ghostbusters theme and Glover's Chimney. Just an earworm, but it lasted all day and the link is indellible now.

Doug 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits) & the Blackwater /Glen Shee - had just paddled a stretch of the River Blackwater on a lovely spring day with two fellow students from Stirling Uni, after loading the canoes onto the car roof, getting changed etc we started the drive back to Stirling, Nick put on a tape saying this was a new band. Whenever I hear the song I'm transported back to that moment, driving towards Blairgowrie on a sunny afternoon without a care in the world.

marsbar 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Killing me softly by the Fugees and  the campsite near the famous little bridge in Borrowdale. Just because it was on the radio every time we got in the car that week.  

Just looked it up, Ashness farm and Ashness bridge.  It seems it is no longer a campsite but now does b and b.  

Post edited at 12:08
 Wainers44 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Greg's Hut on Cross Fell, doing last years LDWA 100. About 2 in the morning, fog and driving rain having been going for 14 hours at that point.

Wandering up the track to the Fell top in the storm, "...just wanna dance the night away with senoritas who can sway..." popped into my head....mainly due to the "...here comes my happiness again..." line.

Stayed in my head for hours and hours....and will always be associated with that area now!

Jamie Hageman 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Nice thread.  Some years ago, I went to the Alps for three weeks on my own with a bivi bag, one October.  I took Faure's Requiem (Academy of St Martin in the Fields recording) on my MP3 player.  I had never listened to music while in the outdoors but my wife convinced me it would be a good idea and bought me the MP3 player.  I had heard little bits of the Requiem previously, but purposely didn't listen to it to 'save' it for the Alps.  Well, what an experience.  Gazing up from my bivi, head poking out looking up at far flung stars and the moonlit Matterhorn, the Requiem pulsing through my existence, tears streaming down my face, alone in a wild landscape, in the here and now, totally at one with my surroundings, my position.  That soundtrack was so perfect.

I have since taken the Requiem on two New Zealand trips and several other foreign mountain adventures, and used it sparingly when the moment is just right.  But I will always associate Faure's Requiem with life-changing mountain trips, in particular the Alps and New Zealand Alps. 

Dave the Rave 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

StarTrekiin by the Firm

On Sunday’s in the late 80’s and misled by some older youths, this was the song of choice on our tape as we were ‘drunk driven’ around country lanes to country pubs.

Feel really bad about that now but luckily we only had a wing mirror imcident.

Bobling 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

In an apple orchard in the Huon Valley in Tasmania, picking apples with my wife (then just married), and the song is "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol.  It was on the radio constantly and went from irritating to acceptable to the soundtrack for our Australia montage video...we'd both left stressful jobs and all the baggage of our life in the UK and were living in a camper van, picking apples all day whilst Wedge tailed eagles sailed overhead, standing round a campfire drinking beer at night and eating fresh fish and oysters from the Huon. 

I don't quite know
How to say
How I feel

Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life

The themes of self/co-sufficiency, youth and loving bliss were so appropriate.  Still makes me go squishy inside.

Nice thread : )

climber34neil 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

A solo trip to Joshua tree in 1994 , bought nirvana unplugged MTV session to listen to while I was there, all of it reminds me of being there, also the association of 29 palms and the Robert Palmer song stick in my mind as well

alan moore 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I have never ever been on Ilkley Moor without Ba’ tat running through my mind on continuous loop.

OP Lankyman 10 Apr 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> I have never ever been on Ilkley Moor without Ba’ tat running through my mind on continuous loop.

Just think though, if you'd just heard 'Star Trekin' (see Dave the Rave upthread) - 'It's worse than that, he's dead, Jim!' every time you went up there?

I suspect 'Summer Breeze' by the Isely Brothers (1972) would feature high  on a memory-invoking list of songs?

It was a massive world-wide hit. At the time me and friends used to cycle (Raleigh Choppers - remember them!) out to Rivington or a couple of bus rides through Wigan to Horwich. Going through the pillars into Lever Park and then the freedom to roam all over, through the Pike gardens and round the reservoirs and onto the moors at Anglezarke. And, of course, the sun shone for ever. 'Summer Breeze' indeed.

Andy Clarke 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Bombtrack by Rage Against the Machine and a hard frozen Glen Etive by night. The car thermometer read minus 8 and Orion was glittering overhead. We were en route to the hut having driven up for a winter climbing weekend. I think we did Ordinary Route on Central Buttress, Stob Coire the next day. It was the first time I'd heard Rage and it stayed burned in my mind as bright as the stars that night. 

Post edited at 08:13
russellcampbell 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

While walking up Musala in Bulgaria on my own in June a few years ago in miserable wet conditions I reached the last hut before the top to hear Travis "Why does it always rain on me" blaring out.

Gav Parker 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I was about to do a Bungy jump from Victoria Falls bridge in Africa.

While they were tying me on to the cord they were playing the song

I believe I can fly.....by R Kelly

Always takes me back to sitting there nervously.....haha

OP Lankyman 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Gav Parker:

> I was about to do a Bungy jump from Victoria Falls bridge in Africa.

> While they were tying me on to the cord they were playing the song

> I believe I can fly.....by R Kelly

> Always takes me back to sitting there nervously.....haha

Just think, if they'd been playing this song ....... 

youtube.com/watch?v=d1gYJDQXPOk&

(I'd have asked for a refund)

Gav Parker 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Haha that takes me back, yes it wouldn’t have been good!
They actually told me if the cord snapped and I survived the crocs would get me!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...